Red Aglae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcastelh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know this topic has probably been addressed a million times, but I am asking anyways. I have a 30 gallon tank that has been up and running for almost two years now. I started with two Damsels and now am down to one. I opted to not go with LR. I have a fluval filter, a powerhead to move water and that is it. When I first started the tank up, it was to close to outside light and about a few months in, the tank was taken over by what appeared to be red algae. I moved the tank cleaned the tank, scrubbed everything down and it seemed to go away. But it would make a comeback every single time. Just recently I changed about 30% of the water, scrubbed everything thoroughly, scrubbed every part of the filter as well. The water looked great for a couple weeks, but it looks like it is returning again. I run the light in the evenings for about 5-6 hours and feed the tiniest pinch of food nightly.

I know everyone seems to be against chemicals, but if I were going to use something to help with the problem, what chemical would anyone suggest. Also, if I were thinking of going to LR someday, does that eliminate the need for a filter, and is it more difficult to maintain LR in a 30 gallon tank than the bigger setups?

Thank you.

You got to get LR. Trust me it help everything. Whats the gph flow in the tank?

If your going to get any chemical filtration it would be Chmi-pure. Its good stuff.

fishrfreinds said:
You got to get LR. Trust me it help everything. Whats the gph flow in the tank?

If your going to get any chemical filtration it would be Chmi-pure. Its good stuff.

The powerhead is 145 gph. Any suggestions on a user friendly guide to adding live rock to a tank?

Thanks for your help.

If its already cured then you can add it to your tank. If it is not you`ll need to cure it in a tub of SW with a heater and power head in there. Also you never did say what your PWC schedule is.

Back
Top Bottom