Red Claw Crab is Losing Color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eastern

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I recently decided to get some red claw crabs. I'm keeping them in brackish water, they have access to land, and I'm giving them sinking crab pellets. In case this is useful information, I am using instant ocean to make the water brackish, and I have a hydrometer. I'm also using stress coat to treat the water. As far as I know I'm doing everything the internet has told me to do when caring for these creatures.

I bought two crabs on saturday. On sunday, one shed. I did not remove the shed, so that he could eat it. On monday, he was sitting in the middle of the tank, out in the open. When he would try to move, his legs were uncoordinated, and weak. He did not move from that spot. The next morning, on tuesday, he was dead. I have no idea what was wrong with him. I removed him and his shed and replaced him with a new crab, also on tuesday.

This new crab was all dark, as red claw crabs are. This morning I noticed two small yellow dots on her back. I went to class (I'm in college) and I come back to a really splotchy black and yellowish crab. She seems a little weak, but she is still able to move in a coordinated fashion. The other crab, the one I got on sunday, is completely fine. He loves to pinch the fake plants and runs like crazy when something startles him, and he hasn't lost his color. I have no idea what is happening!!!! Can anyone offer any advice? I did a complete water change, including rinsing the sand and gravel a few hours ago, but her color loss is progressing.

And neither of them are eating the crab food I have from them.

12695121_10205164926473059_886646334_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom