Red Claw Crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agentsammy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought 2 red claw crabs the other day and placed them in my ready tank with water, a minnow, land, and water filter. Yesterday, I thought one had died as he was sitting in the water on the bottom, but all of his legs weren't touching the rocks. He didn't run when I tapped him to see if he was alive. He never budged. So I took him out of the tank and placed him in a container because it was late and wanted to consult my fiance about it before I did anything with him. So then today I walk in the room and the other one was upside down. He was moving though when I nudged him, so I knew he wasn't dead. I was really confused and could not believe they would both be doing this when the last 2 crabs I had were just fine in there, we only exchanged them for crabs that had all of their legs. So then I checked the one I put in the container, and there was a little bit of water placed in there too just in case he wasn't dead, and I could see him breathing or something. No movement in his body, but I definitely saw something moving by his mouth. So I thought thank god he's alive. But I didn't move him back to the tank bc if he was hurting, I didn't want to pick him up again. So as time goes by, the one in the container flipped upside down too. And the middle part of his carapace started to lift. I thought ok, so they must be molting! Well after about 40 min of it lifting and going back down, I saw, what I believe, was poo. Then the carapace closed up and now he's not moving even a little bit. The other guy in the tank was still moving though. His whole carapace started to open a lot more than the other one. And he looked like he was cleaning the inside or something or maybe pushing it off of him. As time went by, the bottom closed up and now he's not moving. I really think they're both dead now, and I have no idea what happened or how they died. I need help.

No, there's been no movement. They have definitely died. I just don't understand what happened, and why their carapaces opened like that, and then nothing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom