Red Eye Tetra Having Trouble Staying Upright

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostAction

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yesterday I came home and I saw my fish swimming upside down (like how really any other fish does when its about to die), so I immediately got another container and put him in there with a bubbler and kept him in there. Then I saw my Neon Tetra looking a little sick so I put him in another container. He eventually died that night and I think it was really just due to stress because I moved him a couple times.

Every week I've been doing about a 15%ish waterchange and about every month and half I do a normal water change with a siphon. I have a 5 gallon tank, and I have not got any new fish since over a year ago. The only thing I've added to the tank was a plant last year, and replaced gravel with sand earlier this year.

Anyways we did a water change, and before I checked nitrates and I thought it was low but my dad apparently checked again and he said it was high so I have no idea, but when I checked all the parameters where normal.

But the main reason I'm here is my tetra. I put him back in the tank again last night after a couple hours and he was having troubles swimming, so I put him back in the container and left him over night, and when I came back home, 24 hours later, he was still alive. A lot of the times I would see him on his side but when he would notice me he would start swimming around. I just recently put him back in the tank because I was worried about the temperature being 60 degrees and I have no backup heater. My other Red Eye has been chasing him and he was doing the same thing last night not being able to stay upright. After reading, this sounds like he is having bladder problems, but I honestly have no idea what is going on.

Anyone have an idea what I should do? Should I keep him in my tank or put him back in the container?

Edit: Forgot to say, he is also looking palish too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its now been 2 days since this has happened but he is still having problems staying upright.

Your issues do indeed sound like some type of swim bladder problem.

Red eyed tetra's and neon tetra's really need a bigger tank and a school of 6+ fish each. I don't put anything besides nano fish or a single betta in anything 10 gallons or smaller.

Overstocking leads to stress and water quality issues, which probably lead to your issues. Keep doing water changes, clean water is probably the best thing you can do for them other than rehoming.

Keep a close eye on water quality with your stocking.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/characins/redeye.php

https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-NeonTetra.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom