Red gills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graemecookie

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my female guppies has red gills and her tail is drooping down and looks like she will die in next 24 hours any advice?

Check the water parameters. Sound like ammonia posioning. Is she the only fish in there? Do the others appear the same way? If you test the water and give us Ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAte numbers we can help more. Also pictures help.

No she is not the only fish but a few other female guppies seem to have early signs of it! Thanks for your help guys!

If I do water change etc and get levels down will the fish go back to normal

No she is not the only fish but a few other female guppies seem to have early signs of it! Thanks for your help guys!

If I do water change etc and get levels down will the fish go back to normal

Yes, do a 50% PWC asap IMO. They'll get better, but I don't think itl happen with just 1 Pwc, I'd recommend you do them over the next 3-4 days.

I would do 50% water changes over the next 3 or 4 days like Mr. Limpet suggested....They should be fine. Fresh water is the best thiing you can do for them at this point. And if you dont have one, get a test kit to measure ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. I would also do a good gravel vac to make sure the source of the ammonia isnt gunk in the gravel.

Few weeks ago I had baby guppies bit they got eaten by my other fish. Went Into my local pet store and noticed that there female guppies in a tank with baby guppies and they were not eating them, actually not interested at all in them.

But everywhere I have researched online say that when they are born get them away from the mum ASAP cos she will
Eat them.

Graemecookie said:
Few weeks ago I had baby guppies bit they got eaten by my other fish. Went Into my local pet store and noticed that there female guppies in a tank with baby guppies and they were not eating them, actually not interested at all in them.

But everywhere I have researched online say that when they are born get them away from the mum ASAP cos she will
Eat them.

I've heard the same thing and my female guppy hasn't attempted to eat hers yet(a week later). I'm assuming at this point she won't bother so I haven't worried about separating them. Maybe it's the males that eat them though mine never attempted it either.

Back
Top Bottom