red tail shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nolanyaa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know red tail sharks can b aggressive towards some fish but ive also heard that in some cases they arent agressive at all. How do u guys think one would b with a DG and some platys and mollys?

They don't really like any other bottom feeders (myn ate my Chinese alge eater) but other wise they like to nip fins so be carful

Good luck :cool:

The first thing to get resolved is the size tank your talking about. IMO .. if it's anything smaller than a 75gal ... your asking for trouble. They are very territorially aggressive. Literature tells you RTS's are mainly aggressive towards other RTS or similar looking fish. I'll tell you an RTS can be aggressive to any fish it deems in it's territory, or during feeding.

Setting up territories via plants, DW and rocks will help and you may get one that is not as territorial ... but there's no guarantees. It may help if you start with a Juvenile (which most LFS RTS's are) and let it grow into the tank and its tank-mates.

The first thing to get resolved is the size tank your talking about. IMO .. if it's anything smaller than a 75gal ... your asking for trouble. They are very territorially aggressive. Literature tells you RTS's are mainly aggressive towards other RTS or similar looking fish. I'll tell you an RTS can be aggressive to any fish it deems in it's territory, or during feeding.

Setting up territories via plants, DW and rocks will help and you may get one that is not as territorial ... but there's no guarantees. It may help if you start with a Juvenile (which most LFS RTS's are) and let it grow into the tank and its tank-mates.

Thank you for the help

Back
Top Bottom