Redtailed Black Shark Going CRAZY!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moomawkm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
He keeps shooting across the tank and diving out of the water (thank goodness I have a cover!!) and diving down into the sand!!! Is this normal behavior or is this his way of telling me something is wrong?

He's getting along with everyone just fine...:fish1:

What size tank and what are the tank mates?

Have you tested your water? What are the perimeters?

I would say that no this is not normal behavior.

He's in a 29 Gal with 4 Bloodfins, 4 Silver Tips, 1 double tailed half moon betta, and 1 Rubber Lip Pleco.

I've tested the water and my ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates all look good. He only did it for about an hour on and off. He seems to have calmed down now. Occasionally he'll shoot out of his hiding place, circle the tank, and then go back into hiding.

I dont know his current size but full size he will be to big for that tank. How big is he?

RTS's are known jumpers and can exhibit some aggressiveness early .. though not usually. You may have a very hyper RTS .. keep it in mind. A 55gal may not be large enough for an RTS ... they become very territorially aggressive as they mature and will have little tolerance for any other fish .. especially if they are smaller.

Plenty of Plants, DW and Rocks to set up territories should help .. but no guarantees.

Ok then I dont know anything else lol glad to see someone did there research :)

He seemed to be alright when I went to bed last night, but this morning when I turned on their light, my RTS was belly up at the bottom. :(

Other fish seem to be okay and my water tests came back good. Did a 50% water change and am fasting the fish for a day. Let's hope whatever killed my baby isn't going to take anyone else down.

He seemed to be alright when I went to bed last night, but this morning when I turned on their light, my RTS was belly up at the bottom. :(

Other fish seem to be okay and my water tests came back good. Did a 50% water change and am fasting the fish for a day. Let's hope whatever killed my baby isn't going to take anyone else down.

when you same came back ok do you mean you went to a pet store to have it tested? If so this is probably your issue. Pet stores often use strips, which are not accurate at all. Or they tell you everything is ok when it's really not.

If you don't have one I highly suggest you get a liquid test kit and start testing your own water. If you can get some exact results we can probably help you out a lot more. I really think it's water quality that is your issue.

when you same came back ok do you mean you went to a pet store to have it tested? If so this is probably your issue. Pet stores often use strips, which are not accurate at all. Or they tell you everything is ok when it's really not.

If you don't have one I highly suggest you get a liquid test kit and start testing your own water. If you can get some exact results we can probably help you out a lot more. I really think it's water quality that is your issue.
I test it at home. I don't trust the strips. Every time I go to the pet store to have it tested, they say my nitrates are over the roof and try to sell me some kind of "solution." I've been testing my water at home for over a year with no false results yet. Tested the water again just a few minutes ago and the tests came out the same. I don't think it's the water.

Maybe bullying by my betta??

I am really sorry about your fish.
It sounds like he might have been a bit stressed out. As was said, perhaps he was an especially hyper rts and wasn't doing well in the smaller tank. But, I know you wouldn't want to put him in a tank where he would get picked on either. So, it sort of sounds like a lose lose situation.

Back
Top Bottom