Reef Lighting Confusion!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I just wanted to do a quick update. I ended up going with the Nova Extreme Pro 12x39w 72" from Premium Aquatics, and picked it up locally so I got it same day and didn't have to worry bout any shipping costs or anything. (and plus they price matched F&S price which saved me $100). But this thing is awesome! For the size it's not all that heavy, but big and bulky and awkward to carry solo. I love the way its setup, very quality product from what I can tell. The stock Current bulbs give it a very white light, but I plan on getting new bulbs soon enough anyways, so that's no big deal.

But I just wanted to say thanks for the recommendations and the input on this setup! If it wasn't for you guys I would've ended up with an 8 bulb setup and paid the same price as this 12 bulb! This thing is a monster and I'm ecstatic about my purchase and appreciate your guys' help and input! :thanks:

Glad you got the light! It's a great fixture, I love mine. :)

You can just replace the whites for now if you like, maybe with some ATI aquablue pluses? Thats what i run over my tanks, gets rid of the yellow hue from the 10k bulbs.

Glad you got it! I love mine. If you have it sitting on the tank i would advise buying an extra set of legs they can be easy to break. Thats the only down side i have seen. But the legs are cheap enough. Less than $20 i think

Yea the legs seemed rather wobbly. When I was putting it together, I had my wife help my carry it to the tank, and first thing she said was "are these legs really supposed to support this beast of a light?" so I think getting a 2nd set is not a bad idea at all. They hold it will, but it seems like if I were to scoot it back a little bit on one side, it would snap them. That's the only downside I've found to these lights tho, and I'm rather picky when it comes to spending $600 lol.

Are the stock actinic lights any good? Or should I replace them quickly too? They all will definately be replaced before I start stocking the tank with any expensive corals, but that's a while down the road. I've been looking at getting some ATI Blue+, some ATI Aquablues, and a cpl Fiji Purples. I'm going for a bluer look, but not overpowering blue... Any suggestions on how many of each I should get? Or any others I should look a besides those? I plan on only getting 2 of the purples, one for each side, just to help out the reds and that in the corals. I figured I'd do 6 blues, 4 whites, 2 purples. Would that be too much white? By white I mean the Aquablues.

when I first bought the light I had some softies under the stock lights for a year and they were fine. I then went with ATI Blue Plus, ATI AquaBlue Special, a UVL Aquasun and a ATI Purple i liked it but now I have 2ATI Blue Plus, 2AquaBlue Special, 1 Coral Plus and 1 Actinic. I like it a lot better.

For my 12 bulbs i have:
6 aquablue specials
4 blue pluses
2 purple pluses

I dont like the purple bulbs myself, planning on swapping them out hopefully soon. Here is a picture of the setup with the purples.

img_1935337_0_12b34a9c48b58d51717c25f23d1ddd56.jpg

Back
Top Bottom