Reef Octopus skimmer issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Last week I took my skimmer apart to clean it and reassembled it. I put it back in the sump and plugged it in and got a huge surprise. The skimmer started overflowing immediately, about 1/2 quart per minute. I figured it just needed adjusting so I attempted to tweak the gate valve to get it back to normal.

I started with it fully closed and opened it slowly, pausing every couple of minutes to see if I had made a difference. No matter where I adjusted the valve the skimmer continued to overflow. I took it apart again, checked that everything was in it's proper place and put it back. Same thing happened.

The only way I can get it to stop overflowing is to cut off one of the air vents next to the cup. Unfortunately this causes a high-pitched whine that I just cant stand.

Any ideas?

Perhaps it just needs to run in after cleaning? Hopefully that is all it is. I am assuming you got it back in the same water level as before?

Back
Top Bottom