Refugium contents.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is Chaeto algae the only one to use inside the sump? Are there any of you that use anything else? The Macroalgae feeds on Light and Nitrate absorbtion as far as I know what else do macroalgae plants feed on for growth? So in the lighted refugium zone of my sump I was going to put some sort of Macroalgae and sand. Is the sand neccessary Can it be just the Macroalgae. Should I put live rock rubble as well?
I know this has been discussed before but I was Just curious about everyones ideas and thoughts about benefits of things inside a refugium.

There are many types of macro algae that can be used. Here are some description that I picked up from other sites. Note that these are not my descriptions and grape Caulerpa can cause problems:
Red Gracilaria
Tang Heaven. Beautiful red color. This algae almost looks like a root system. Quick refugium filler. Best floating. It is a very "rubbery" algae which divides through fragmentation. It is heavily regarded as it is a very highly nutritious fish food which many marine fish will readily consume. Grows well in both temperate and tropical waters. This Red Macro Algae is known to combat, prevent and cure head and lateral line erosion disease.

Chaetamorpha
Brillo Pad Algae. Spaghetti Algae. Easy to control. Will not attach. Very easy to trim without any possible injury. Great breeding ground for detrivores.

Green Grape Caulerpa (Caulerpa Racemosa):
This algae is looks like it has mini little grapes growing on it. It is very easy to control because it grows in clumps. Very nice looking. Good floating, or anchored, will attach readily.

Prolifera
(Undulated Caulerpa)
Undulated means to look wave like, which is a perfect discription for the scalloped edged leaves of this algae. Can be planted in sand, left floating or attached. Will grow into a big beautiful lush bed in your substrate.

Ulva
"Sea Lettuce". Thin bright green leaf-like appearance. Great aid in the proliferation of amphipods.

Mermaid's Wine Glass(Acetabularia Sp.)
Also called Champagne algae or Tea cup algae. This algae slightly resembles the green grape algae, and is therefore mistakenly sold as it, especially on Ebay. Seeing them together, you can very easily see the difference.It is also easy to control because it grows in clumps. Grows easily and quickly. With this algae, each "stem" and "tea cup" is actually one single very large cell. Very neat looking and extremely bright green under any decent lighting. Good floating, or anchored, will attach readily.

I have sand and grow Grape calerpa in my refuge. As long as you keep it lighted 24/7 and keep it regularly pruned it will be OK. If you dont it will go what we call sexual and turn your water milky white. I feed a ball of it to my tangs every week. It is an excellent nutrient exporter.

Thanks for the educated responses they are greatly appreciated. Why is it that Chaeto is the most popular it is definately not pleasing to look at it looks like a ball of plastic grass. I want the nitrate absorbtion mainly but something that is pleasant to look at. Prolifera(Undulated Caulerpa) sounds like the most eye pleasing choice from Cmor1701d's post saying it will grow a beautifull lush bed. Also I just got my refugium light in the mail today this is it Lights of America 65W Fluorex floodlight (White) (9265)

It wont go sexual as calerpa will. It is more safer and less work and cost. With calerpa you need to run lights 24/7 and constant prunning which I have no problem with.

It wont go sexual as calerpa will. It is more safer and less work and cost. With calerpa you need to run lights 24/7 and constant prunning which I have no problem with.

Is there risk of damaging the plant with over prunning? could I possibly screw it up some how or is it as simple as cutting some off every week. And when It goes sexual will this cause problems with the tank or just cloud the water. If I prune weekly will this be enough to prevent a problem?? I am sure it has to do with how much light there is to grow the plant I plugged my light in last night and I was blinded it seemed to be pretty high powered so I should have a lot of growth.

Also from my understanding most people use a reverse lighting system when the fuge light is on the Main is off and when The Main is on the fuge light is off. I don't see any ill affect of leaving the fuge light on 24/7 except the cost of electricity. Why don't people just leave there fuge light on allday.

The alternate lighting with the main is good but if done with grape calerpa then it will spawn and foul up the water. That is why I leave it on 24/7. If you are going to go with cheato then I would do the alternaning light cycles but with calerpa it needs 24/7. I believe I read the alternating light thing was for PH problems or something.

I just got my custom made sump in the mail today paid for it 9 days ago. Was extremely excited to get it up and running. But of course DHL must of dropped off of the truck and ran it over or something because the side wall busted out and cracked apart. Now I have to wait yet another week for a new one to be built and re-shipped. I seem to have the worst luck with my fish tank. After 2 overflows my daughter dumping an entire bottle of flake food in the tank Algae blooms and the frustrating skimmer break in period. It makes me wonder why I dump a fortune into it. Getting that very first coral to thrive is going to feel pretty darn good and make the headaches worth while hopefully as it has been about 7 months in the making and all I have is 2small fish and about 4snails.

Hang in there. Once it's running you'll be very pleased.

As for the grape calerpa, I just pull a section of it out of the fuge and dump it in the tank. The tang and foxface go after it immediately. I beleive that the 'grape' part starts turning white before it goes sexual.

The opposing light cycle for the fuge/main is supposed to even out the pH swings beteens lights off and lights on periods. It does nothing to help the swings if left on 24/7..

I have had caulerpa in my 14g biocube for about a month on a 10 hour light cycle and it has yet to go "sexual" on me...is it a matter of time, or does the common wisdom of 24/7 lighting possibly have some exceptions. I prune regularly. I have both chaeto and caulerpa in the refugium of my 75g.

I`ve always heard that it needs to be on all the time. When it will mess up I cant give you an answer Only that I`ve had my refuge lights on 24/7 with no problems. The pruning part is definiely a good call. BTW welcome to AA

It's not the grape kind - it's the fern-ish looking one. Thanks for the welcome, by the way! I will try to get my profile more fully filled out soon.

I use cheato and mangroves in mine. The mangroves amaze me. Mine are suspended in styrofoam and have roots hanging all over. They can get kind of pricey and you need room above the fuge for them to grow.

I took some pics of my refugium contents I figured it tied in to this thread so I put them here. The first photo Is little mini brittel star that I just found the second is some amphipods I believe. The 3rd and 4th I need identification on. I found the white tubular thing and I watched it for a bit and it emerged looks like a feather duster maybe???
refugium contents 009.jpg

refugium contents 007.jpg

refugium contents 002.jpg

refugium contents 005.jpg

Seems like you have quite a bit of growth there.

Just a general refugium question: How much nitrate can you expect to be absorbed through nutrient export? If your LS/LR can bring Ammonia and Nitrite to zero readings, can your refugium get nitate to a zero reading?

Re: caulerpa going sexual without 24/7 lighting, "when not if" is certainly true...yesterday I came home to a totally cloudy tank and immediately ripped out all the caulerpa!

Back
Top Bottom