Reliable Driftwood Sources

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been thinking of getting some driftwood to add to my tank, but for some reason I'm really nervous about getting some. Growing up, my dad always had at least one tank running and now I have my own. Neither of us have ever used driftwood before, but I love how it looks. I guess my nervousness is from it being something new.

I'd like to know where you guys get yours from. I really don't want to go through Petco or Petsmart because frankly I don't trust those stores. When you order through your suppliers, do you still go through the boiling process or has that already been handled? Any other tips are welcome! :)

If you live in Maryland house of Tropicals in glen burnie has a wonderful amazing selection of dw plus plants and fish of all three types and huge supply sections

I am usually against online shopping because I do not get to physically touch or see the dw before buying. But I took the chance from DrsFoster and Smith, and it was cheap and great looking.

I went out at found my own. Luckily my grandparents own a place on a river so I can go out and look. My buddy got some too. We are going to go looking in a few weeks and probably get some to sell. We've found some good stuff.

Mr.Pleco said:
I went out at found my own. Luckily my grandparents own a place on a river so I can go out and look. My buddy got some too. We are going to go looking in a few weeks and probably get some to sell. We've found some good stuff.

What do you look for for finding driftwood in a river or lake???

FreshwaterTropical said:
What do you look for for finding driftwood in a river or lake???

I would only do rivers but that's just me. I have a few spots I always check. It's in the channel going out to the gulf here in Florida. I'd look for small islands and river banks. My piece is in my album of you wanna see it.
There is just more variety in rivers

Nice, you found all of that? I am going to have to start looking, what about how do you know it's driftwood and not just a log??? What about mold and decay?

FreshwaterTropical said:
Nice, you found all of that? I am going to have to start looking, what about how do you know it's driftwood and not just a log??? What about mold and decay?

Yeah. I don't remember which picture are there but I found about 5 or 6 pieces and then like 4 for my buddy. Make sure the wood is hard and not soft. You'll know driftwood when you see it. It's not like a tree branch or stick. Might take some time to find a peace with character. You shouldnt have to worry about mold and decay really. If its moldy or has decay it most likely won't look nice and you would just keep going. Scrubbing and boiling will kill any Bactria or other living things on it. Get all the knooks and crannies. I used the bathtub to soak it cuz it was too big for anything else.

No doubt Mr. Pleco! We really did find some really nice pieces! My 20 gallon in my album has about 3 pieces that we found that we put together to make it look awesome. Driftwood is really the way to go if your looking for a more natural look... then again you find some intresting pieces out there that you just want to put in a tank!

We will be going back out in a week or so to find some more and will post pictures up if anyone is interested in checking them out :D.

U have to check out the sponser site Manzanita Driftwood from this site!! Its posted everywhere on it. So far, its the cheapest and largest pieces I found online. My tank is 125 and the buy 2 get 1 free was an awesome deal, just $72 and this included S/H. Just my experience!!

U have to check out the sponser site Manzanita Driftwood from this site!! Its posted everywhere on it. So far, its the cheapest and largest pieces I found online. My tank is 125 and the buy 2 get 1 free was an awesome deal, just $72 and this included S/H. Just my experience!!

Thanks for the kind words :)

Back
Top Bottom