Removing a light bulb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follicle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Wow. I can't believe how difficult this is.

This is the first time I'm replacing the light bulbs in my hood and I can't for the life of me get the old ones out!

Here's what my lights look like (pretty standard, I believe):

img_957088_0_a35181235a35e5e948852a26c1854d4c.jpg

At first, I simply tried to pop them out. Won't work. Then I noticed two small plastic "tabs" on each side of the bulb. I thought that pressing booth of these tabs in at the same time on either side might release the bulb, but still no cigar.

Am I just making this a lot hard than it should be!?

I'm not sure but i think you have to spin the bulb so the pins line up with the slots on the end.

It appears to be a standard fluorescent bulb. You should be able to rotate the bulb 90 degrees to release it. It should have two pins at each end, they should come out of the slot on the connector. If it won't turn then it may be corroded or jammed. Then pull the connector away from the bulb while pulling the bulb the other direction. Careful not to break the bulb as the connector is less expensive. If you break the connector you can get one at a hardware store.

Yep. I think you're both correct. Unfortunately, it looks like it must be corroded or something like that, because it won't budge. I might end up just getting two new hood lights.

Oh, well. I really appreciate your responses. Thanks.

You could very carefully and outside..... break the lightblubs and break away excess glass.... then use a pair of pliers or vice grips and get out the metal connection points on the end of the bulbs.... just be careful not to breath anything in from the bulbs....thats some nasty stuff in there.

This kind of thing happens frequently and it is related to the heat of the ballasts over time. They actually weld the pins to the fixture. I've had to replace endcaps for this reason, and that was even on a CF fixture with fans. In the future, I'm going to be sure and get fixtures with the ballast in the cord, away from the fixture itself. The newer models are starting to be made this way, for this very reason.

If you rescue this fixture, get some oxidizing grease from the electrical department at Lowes or HD, or wherever you shop for hardware supplies. That goes on the pins and keeps them from getting stuck.

Back
Top Bottom