Removing Decor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gadgetrunt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Howdy again all. First, thanks for all the info on my other posts. Its really appreciated. Another aquarist friend noted that one part of the tank is looking a bit crowded. There is one piece I have that I'd like to remove and see how everybody reacts. I dont ever see any of the fish or shrimp really hiding in it or using it. Its right next to some driftwood that everyone climbs around on. And there are a lot of plants for everyone to hide among. Is it OK to do this and change the layout? Plus it would give me some more room to trim and replant some of the wisteria and java fern I have. Its the white cave like piece behind the driftwood. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200726_140841.jpg
    20200726_140841.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 33
What fish do you have and what size if your tank?

If the piece has been in there a long time, a couple things, one is that there could be a large amount of muck underneath it, disturbing it might release the muck. If you have a gravel vac, then maybe gravel vac around and under the decor on your next water change. If the level of gunk under it is high, then do another pwc again after a few days, week, and clean it up more.

If there is little muck under it then do not worry too much and remove it.

There is a chance that there is a good bit of BB on the ornament - could cause a mini cycle.

Monitor safe levels on the tank with testing. Watch for any changes, and/or do a couple extra water changes in the following week or 2. Lightly feed for 7-10 after as well to reduce the bioload on the tank.

Should be just fine. If you use Prime, you can also give a little dose every 24 hours to help mitigate any problems as well.

Coming

Thanks for the reply. Its a 30g with wisteria, anubias Nana, jave ferns and chains words, with a little bit of dwarf hairgrass. Right now I have 6harlequin rasboras, 2black neon tetras (4 others kicked right after I got them. Bad group from the store) 2 Otocinclus cats, 3 Emerald corys, 6 amano shrimp and a rubber lipped pleco. Once i pulled the piece out, had been in since right after the cycle, the area looks clean, added a clipping of wisteria in the spot and i see my Harley Quinns swimming through the plants all day. Thshrimp seem to be happier as they have a lot more foraging area. I'm keeping an eye on everything to make sure. I use a little bit of prime when I do water changes but I mostly use stress coat plus. I also use flourish excel and easy green fertilizer and easy root tabs. I have a bit of a snail issue at the moment but that is getting taken care of tonight or tomorrow. Think ive found somewhere that can use them for puffer food. ThNks again.

Back
Top Bottom