Rena XP3 vs. Fluval 405 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missileman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been wanting to get a canister filter for a while and have narrowed it down to the Rena XP3 and Fluval 405.
So far the Rena seems to have better reviews but I haven't looked at that many yet.
Price aside which would you choose?

Fluval it is.
I stopped by Petco and they wanted $220, I can get one on Ebay for $150 w/free shipping. Stopped by my local aquarium place, which is usually expensive, and he had a 405 for $170, I grabbed it. I would rather pay a little more so I have local service and he stocks all the reapir parts.
Neither place had the Rena.

From what I have heard you can't really go wrong with either. I have 2 XPs (an XP2 and an XP3) and they are great, but I know a lot of people with Fluvals that have had no problems with them either.

Not sure why, but none of the pet stores in my area seem to carry Rena's products. Is this just a regional thing? Mostly Ehem's and Marinelands with one or two Fluvals. Oh, and the very tempting Cascade which is so much cheaper! I know none of these canisters are supposed to break, but its comforting to know I can drive down the road for parts in an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom