Replacement fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
A few days ago my oldest molly passed away. This of course upset the male to female ratio and ghd male has been harrassing the female.
I'm considering giving them both to the Lfs and going with a schooling fish to go with my 4 platys and 1 female betta.
The tank is 55 gallons moderately planted. The guy at the store said he had a large variety of tetras Including black neons, regular neons, rummy nose (regular and albino) etc.
If this was your tank what would you do? I like all these types of tetras but I could also do another female molly. I just don't want anything to stress my betta and I really think a dither fish school would help.
I'm going to the store tomorrow

Hello Sara...

You don't need to replace the fish. You can simply add some more individual stems of a floating plant. Anacharis, Pennywort, Dwarf water lettuce, Water sprite and Hornwort are good, fast growing plants that will provide shelter for all the fish. The more plants at the surface you have, the more calm and comfortable the fish will be.

B

Black neons are one if my favs. Hardy, and I've never had an issue with them nipping whether with a betta, angels, or gouramis.

Thanks for the comments. I came home to all the fish hiding except the female molly, I'm guessing she's been a bully when I'm not around. I brought her to the store (along with the troublesome male platy) and grabbed about 10 black neons.
I have someone buying the male molly tonight and will wait til the fry are old enough to sell/take to the store.
I may add more neons once all the mollies are sold. Depennding on how many platy fry survive. I think all 3 of my females are pregnant.

Back
Top Bottom