Replacing Tank Frames???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kinderpond

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75G tank (second hand) we are in the process of putting together for Malawi cichlids. I read on another forum that you could use acetone to take off the oak trim, so I tried it. BIG MISTAKE! :facepalm: I cracked the top and bottom frames. I've put in a call to LFS to order new frames...but I just have great anxiety about changing out these frames. Has anyone had any success with changing out frames on a tank this large? If so, any advice for doing this without messing up the tank? :confused:

I have a 75G tank (second hand) we are in the process of putting together for Malawi cichlids. I read on another forum that you could use acetone to take off the oak trim, so I tried it. BIG MISTAKE! :facepalm: I cracked the top and bottom frames. I've put in a call to LFS to order new frames...but I just have great anxiety about changing out these frames. Has anyone had any success with changing out frames on a tank this large? If so, any advice for doing this without messing up the tank? :confused:

Not on one that big, although I tend to think the bigger tanks would actually be easier.

Get yourself a razor knife and start cutting into the silicon along the outside and inside edges of the frames. Keep going until your sure you've removed all the silicon that is in there. Then try and lift off the frame. If it won't break free, use a block of wood and hammer to gently tap it. The plastic frames are "glued" on using silicon and can be a bugger to break loose. Hopefully you can do so without breaking the tank. Best of luck.

img_1619172_0_ecb9810e8c9bdd70135815604d876f82.jpg

yeah +1 on the razor knife, I did one on a 55 years ago, I don't know about that wood block and hammer trick though I just used the knife and elbo grease. clean off all the old silicone then lay down a nice bead of silicone in the corner or groove of the frame and set on a good flat surface with the weight of the tank on top wait 24 hrs. and it should be good and cured

Back
Top Bottom