Requirements for CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hannibal the Bichir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everybody,
What specific requirements are needed for the use of CO2 injections. I was wondering about the lighting factor as well. All of the information I have obtained says over 2 watts per gallon. Does anything else effect this as well?
Thank you

Well from what I have learned from C02, is that the higher the lighting, the more C02 will need to be injected. What size is your tank? Are you planning on a pressurized system or DIY? What type of plants are you looking at? Lighting? Here is a site on C02 http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/Co2/co2_faq.htm#T11 That just covers what you will need. I use the AquaTek regulator with a 5lb pressurized C02 tank i got off of amazon. I got my diffuser, bubble counter, bubble liquid, and C02 tubing from GLA. A good pressurized system should set you back a couple hundred dollars, and usually the ones under $100 are not the best so I have heardd..mine was abou $220- C02 tank was $60; Regulator was $100; GLA equipment was also $60 (65mm atomic diffuser ($30; Bubble Counter w/ check valve $20; and the liquid and tubing were $10 [tubing was about $7 for ten feet and the liquid was $3]). Is that what you were looking for?

The only definite way to tell if you need CO2 or not is if you have algae. Otherwise, it's largely speculation. You can put together an educated guess, but in the end it's a guess.

That being said, wpg is an antiquated and all around bad rule. If you are serious about a high tech planted tank, I suggest you do some additional research, at least so far as to be able to tell why wpg is bad.

Back
Top Bottom