Rescue Comet Goldfish advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kerrburns

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Last week I rescued a Comet who is approximately 1.5 years old and had been kept in a 5 gallon tank its whole life thus far. He's approximately 8 inches long. Although I've had Fancys before, this is my first Comet. He is now in a new 55 gallon and is MUCH happier. My question is do I get him a tank mate? He's said to have been alone his whole life. I know a 55 gal isnt big enough for 2 comets. Alot of compatible non-goldfish are schooling fish, and I'm not sure if I should be adding more to take up his space? Do you think he's fully grown at this point? I know poor thing is probably stunted :( Any advice is appreciated!!

I wouldn't add anymore tank mates. I am assuming he will grow more with a good diet and proper space. He is only 1.5 years old yet. If you are in a warm enough climate, he would honestly do best in a pond and can grow much bigger, then you could definitely get a good sized school of fancies to go with him.

Back
Top Bottom