Return pump plumbing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jereli

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I currently have a rio 2500 producing about 580gph with one return line... What I want to do is have two return lines from this pump. I plan on using some pvc with a "y" adapter and split it. I want to use my return pump to flow water behind my rock work on opposite ends of my tank. What size pvc do I use? Will it all be one size or does it have to be bigger diameter before it gets split into two? Will this idea work with this pump?

Very interested in this because I am planning on doing the same thing when I get my 125 gal tank set up. What I was planning on was a 1" line coming off my return pump split off into 2 3/4" lines for my return. I was thinking I would need a larger pump than normal, because essentially your adding more head length that the water needs to travel to return to the tank.

The pump you have now will get the job done (that being just returning the water to tank) but because your splitting the line, your GPH will decrease. So your 2 return lines may be at 250 GPH each do to splitting the line and the added head length.

Don't quote me on this, this is just what I have come up with in theory. Maybe someone else will chime in and help out here.

yea thats the same thing i kinda figured just wasnt too sure..i guess i wouldnt really mind if its around 250 gph out of each return line.. i have power heads to take care of the rest of the flow i just mainly want to get some flow pointed behind the rocks towards the back glass rather than just forward towards the glass like my power heads... maybe i can just use one of those y splitters and just split it at the very end of my return line inside the tank already so i wouldnt have to re plumb nothing.. but not sure yet.. we'll see if anyone has any insights on this..

I did this but I found too much waste can be caught in the pipework,but the design was good,maybe just not enough filters on my setup.There are some photos in my profile.

Depending on what size PVC you're using will help determine the flow into the tank. You must size it accordingly.

1/2" PVC will handle apprx. 400gph
3/4" PVC will handle apprx. 600gph
1" PVC will handle apprx. 900gph

So personally, I would run a 3/4" header with (2) 1/2" takeoffs. That way you will maximize your flow out of the (2) 1/2" returns.

Here's a pic of my plumbing. It's a new build and has nothing in it, I also have some more inside glass cleaning to do, but the plumbing is complete... and the inside pipe is actually black PVC NOT PAINTED.

Attachments

• IMG_0822.jpg
    IMG_0822.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 223
Nice...thanks for the input.. Where did you find black pvc? I was looking for some when I first set up my tank but did not find any.

Back
Top Bottom