Reusing gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doig

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently about 4 months ago I rid one of my 10 gallon tanks due to an intestinal parasite outbreak that damaged alot of my blood fin tetras. I washed the sand/eco complete substrate with just normal tap water and let it sit in the sun to dry. I stored it outside through out the winter months. Should I soak it in some kind of bleach concentration solution before reusing it in a new tank setup? If so any further guidance in how?

Not to mention the cold of winter. I think you'll be fine. Might want to re rinse it though in case anything got in there from sitting outside.

I would soak in a bleach solution just in case there are eggs still on it or something... couldn't hurt. But I am a worrywart.

I'd be concerned about the bleach, but that's me. I'd just rinse and let it dry real good, as someone already mentioned, any parasite will be gone once outside of the water and dry.

Thank you very much everyone for the input. I kind of assumed it being washed and cleaned and burdened outside in freezing weather would of made it safe enough but just was not sure. Will rewash it and dry it again in the sun.

For the record, bleach is perfectly safe as long as you overdose with dechlor afterwards.

You’re probably right about it being okay but I would likely use bleach to be sure.

No soap though. Definitely no soap. I’m sure you know that.

Back
Top Bottom