Reverse Flow Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wxboilermaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 50 gal turtle tank that I currently have a Fluval 404 (340 gph) as the main filter. It does a great job keeping the water clear, even with all the crud the turtles produce. The gravel, however, tends to gunk up pretty fast and I heard that running a reverse flow filter would help reduce how fast the gravel gunked up as well as increase the biological filtration capacity.

I've looked for set up diagrams for this and can't find anything. I kind of assume you would just put in an undergravel filter then pipe the outlet tube from the canister filter to a hole on the bed, so the water exiting the filter is fed directly under the gravel and forced up through it. Is that it? I'm imagining setting this up and having it fluidize the gravel bed, or create a random geizer because the rock can't support the higher flow rate.

If it were me, I'd probably use a reverse-flow undergravel filter (RFUGF) in concert with your canister filter. The canister intake and return can be left alone in strategic locations to promote circulation, while a powerhead driven RFUGF will hopefully prevent turtle waste from collecting in any quantity on the gravel.

I haven't ever used it myself, but Penguin makes this RF kit for their PH's: http://www.aquariumguys.com/reverseflow.html

Your idea will work, using the cannister to feed the UGF. One thing you should consider, if your not all ready doing it, is removing the turtles to a shallow container, such as a dish pan for feeding. If you feed them there, and allow them time to evacuate, their tank will stay much cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom