Reviving old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dixie1sixty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

I am in the process of setting up an old tank I've had stored in the garage (with no car) for about 6-7 years.

I am just wondering about what I can salvage in terms of ornaments, stones, ceramic ring filters, pump etc and what I'm better off just replacing?

I've cleaned the tank up now so just needing a bit of advice on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance.

First fill up the tank and see if it leaks

Then washboff decor well. Decor is reusable

You can reuse gravel as well

The filter might work but their are so much better filters now then before so prolly get a new filter.

Definitely get a. New heater

Thanks for the reply.

I have an aqua one aspire 55l tank so the filter i system had 3 compartments, one for a sponge and two for the ceramic rings. So I will need a new sponge.

Why should I definitely get a new heater?

Because it gets deteriotad I'll show to a pic of one that happened to it. It latterly eats the heaters away and the heater will start to overheat and explode and kill all fishes! And mine is less than 1 year sitting drry and it went boom!

Deffinely test fill your tank somewhere where water won't be a problem because empty tanks begin to dry rot the sillicone and you'd have to either strip the silicone off and re silicone OR get a new tank but I would try to get a new tank because the silicone might not him well after being so old.

Back
Top Bottom