Rinse pool filter sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flatty

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a logistical question. I have a new tank I am setting up. I know I should rinse PFS before putting in the tank but I also have to pile up and likely silicone a few rocks as well since this will be a cichlid tank. Would I be better off rinsing the sand and just leaving the wet sand in there as I setup the rock work and allow the silicone to dry or would it be better to put the PFS in unrinsed and setup the rocks and just deal with the extra mess?

I'd just deal with the extra mess. I didn't rinse my pool filter sand and it all settled within 36 hours which seems comparable to a lot of people who report they did rinse their sand.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What type of cichlids are these?

If they are Africans I would definitely wash the sand. It would be best to place a piece of egg crate down, stack the rocks how you like them, and then add the sand around them.

My mbuna were huge diggers and one single fish in particular moved about 10 pounds of sand all by himself. If i didn't arrange the rocks like that he very likely would have toppled them over and killed himself or his tank mates. That same fish killed 2 hob filters with sand. I had to switch to a canister.

Why do you have to have the sand in the tank while you do your rock work? Lack of space to put the sand as you rinse it? Wet sand will be able to be piled at different areas of the tank and it stay out of the way easier than dry sand while you do work in the tank. I would rinse the sand. The level of dirtiness varies from bag to bag. Even if the same brand. Its good tank hygiene just to remove the dust as it has to go somewhere on the tank and you never know what may have inadvertently got into it during the manufacturing process.

Yes they would be Africans. I have placed eggcrate down and was just concerned that having wet sand in there a few days while the rock is glued and dried might cause some bacteria or other undersirables to grown is all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom