Ritteri Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjm80

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, just wanted to get your opinion on the Ritteri. Everything I've read leads me to believe there will be world peace before the Ritteri can be kept in a home aquarium. But I know this simply cannot be the case. My best LFS has one for sale for $55, but I haven't gone by to look at it.

I am also interested in the green or red bubble tips, but I know that the chances of my clowns hosting a bubble tip are less than the Ritteri, and I really want an anemone.

What is everyone's experiences with these beautiful creatures? I have a T5HO 48" 4 bulb (2 10,000K and 2 actinics) for lighting, and roughly 2,000 GPH circulation between my koralia magnum 5 and the return from my sump. 75 gallon tank.

I plan on getting one at some point, but I've read that clowns hosting a frogspawn isn't good for the coral.

Ritteri are possible to keep but as you have read and from what i have seen it is difficult. I think they also have a higher light requriement then the bubble tip anemones. I don't think i would try it with a 4 bulb T-5 fixture. I think MH is probably requried for a Ritteri.

How long has your tank been set up? They are also much more particular about stable and perfect water quality. I wouldn't recommend putting it in a tank that is less then a year old minimum.

They are truely beautiful anemone though. If you can keep them happy they get an almost metalic sheen in the tips that is nothing short of stunning.

I have tried them for years with little success. One reason is that my 300 gallon reef is mostly coral. I do not think the anemones do well in tanks full of coral and the opposite seems to be true also. I think if you set your tank up for mostly anemones, you might be okay. The frogspawn will not like a fish living in it and will not fully deploy is my best guess. Mine doesn't like even the angel fish picking on rocks around it.

I've had mine for about two months and I have 2 t-5 lights and pristine water quality. It stays at the top but sometimes goes to the bottom and has a beautiful purple foot. I'm getting MH lights next week though. They were 75 each so I'm getting 2 250W MH, they were used but work great.

Anems will move when and if they feel like it lol. When I had mine he stayed in one spot the entire time though. It all depends on it's mood I think. :-D

Back
Top Bottom