RO/DI water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogart

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are the advantages of RO/DI Water vs Ammonia/Chloramine Remover for fresh water fish? I kept salt water reef tanks so I have the equipment and cost is not an issue.

If you have hard tap water, you can mix it with RO water (gH = 0 ppm) to reduce the general hardness (gH) of the tap water. Ammonia/Chloramine removers will not reduce water's gH.

RO/DI have almost no advantages in freshwater, mostly drawbacks. When you run tap water through the RO/DI, it strips all micronutrients from the water. If you needed saltwater, then the salt mix would replenish all the micronutrients. In freshwater, there is nothing replacing those micronutrients unless you buy the mixing formula, which is a PITA when its not needed. The fishes and plants need these nutrients. Your tap must really have toxic levels of nitrate before considering RO/DI. If anything, I would run the waste water from the RO/DI unit into freshwater tanks.

When referring to Ammonia/chloramine remover, I think you must be talking about Seachem prime. Use it every time you do a water change. Most freshwater hobbyists use this as its beneficial to the fishes.

You can always buy products that will replenish the minerals, just being able to control the gh is very important part in freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom