Rock and a hard place

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Veracosa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am hoping I can use you guys to bounce off an issue I've been struggling over.
I have a 29gal F.O. with a handsome stars-n-stripes puffer (see icon) and a yellowtail damsel.

I've had these guys for about 8 years now, and boy has the puffer grown since I first got him! He was about 3 inches back then and he's probably a good 10 inches now; he almost is as long as the width of my tank :(

He really needs a new home, but I am in a sticky position. I can't really afford to buy a really large tank; I live in an apartment and expect to be moving in the next year or two to go to vet school.
But I love him. He's my little buddy, with his quirks and bad habits :) .
I approached a person at one LFS, and when I talked to him about my situation, he seemed uninterested in helping me re-home my fish (and was actually pretty rude to me). I don't even really want money for him; I just want to see him happily go to a large tank where he can really stretch his fins!

So I am contemplating trying to split the difference with a modest tank size upgrade, but I really can't see getting any larger than a 50 gallon. And I just don't think that that size change is enough to be fair to him...is it? I mean, I don't really intend on getting more fish (maybe a bottom-dweller like an eel), just lots of live rock.

I guess I am just hoping you might have some recommendations for either trying to find him a new proper home, or what I can do to make his living situation more comfortable. I always read that they should be in 75-or-larger tanks, and I'd like input about that figure and options.

Thanks a bunch!

Hmmm, post in the regional forums. a bunch of us are planning a trip around the B-More area. I plan on heading up there a day early and visiting the Aquarium.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f115/nice-weather-gettogether-did-just-rhyme-102293.html
I do have a 125 with nothing in it and really love puffers. My tank is not ready for fish but see what happens when you post in the link I provided...Oh, and you are invited to meet up with us.
Welcome to the site!

A ten inch puffer in a 29 gallon tank. 8-O One thing for sure is that it needs a bigger tank. The bigger the better for that fish. Sorry about the LFS. He sounds like he`s the kind of person that will make you a sale but forgets about you after that. Is there any public aquariums around you? They might take it off your hands. Welcome to AA

Take that trip with Scott and the others. They will be visitng several quality lfs in the area. I'm sure you will make new friends and find a proper home for that fish.

On, and ......

welcometoaa.gif

As Mel said, you can try a public aquarium due to the species of puffer, but considering the circumstances I'd be surprised if they agreed unless it was in immaculate condition (most public aquariums will not take in animals). Try craigslist or an aquarium club.

I was talking to another customer at a LFS a couple months ago who had a unicorn tang that grew way to big for the tank. They ended up donating it to a restaurant that has a huge aquarium called Rain Forest Cafe.
I think you would be able to find an LFS that would take the puffer and even give you store credit for 1/2 of what its worth. Thats what various LFS around here would do anyway. Good Luck with that and I think it is great that you realize that yo cant keep it in a 29gal.
Nobody really answered the question about keeping it in a 55gallon. Would it be ok in there with only the one other fish? Those are 4' long.

Ryshark, this puffer can attain 19in. and that's not even considering girth. This puffer needs a 180g+

Welcome to the site!! If you can get away next saturday please try and join us! Those of us in the NOVA/MD/DC area try to get together once a month or every couple of months. It's always nice to meet new people!

Check with the National Aquarium in Washington (not the one in Baltimore) they have a lot of research programs and have several large tanks. They my be interested in taking your fish. He really does need 180g or more to be happy. Also you could check with BRK (Blue Ribbon Koi and Marine) they are in VA but John my be interested in having your fish.

Back
Top Bottom