rock color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mannyfern09

Aquarium Advice Regular
I do a PWC every week about 5 gallons from my 29 gallon tank. Since most of you are expert and have had many tanks, just wondering about how long is it before i start to see some color in my rocks..

my tank is about 2 yrs old ... butt!! i just added all new live rock 2 days ago so just wondering.. i barely had any rocks before so the ones i ddid i got rid of .. so just wondering how long with a water change every week it will be thank you!

It depends on your alk level, ca level, lighting and nutrient level.
Can you test and post your alk and ca reading?
What kind of lighting do you have?
Phosphate and/or high nutrient levels can inhibit coralline growth. Weekly pwc's with RO/DI water will help keep levels low.

I have seen bright purple popcorn rocks covered in coralline in a couple LFS, they are supposedly used to jump start the growth I believe.

As ryshark mentioned, you need a coralline source to get coralline. If any of the rocks you added had some coralline growth to start with, and your Ca levels are at least 360, then you'll probably start seeing some pink/green/purple spots spreading in 2-3 months.

so your best advice... go buy that purpelest rock i can find at a LFS and do water changes weekly :) ... sounds easy!!

actually sorry for the double post... chek my other thread out i put a picture of a corall.. the rock it is on has purple will that be good enough? :confused:

I see some color on some of those rocks, so I'm guessing you've got something in there with coralline on it. You just need a little, so you're good to go. Just patience is all you need!

Oh... and weekly water changes are just plain good to do, period!

haha thanks man.. ill keep updating that thread with picss.. cant wait to keep adding corals and watching them develelop

Back
Top Bottom