Rock retaining walls and caves -cheap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm new to aquarium forums, but only rusty to the hobby. I LOVE that aquariumadvice has a DYI section. I had to go back through some old picture cause I wanted to add this. I wanted some retaining walls to hold back deeper sections of gravel for better planting. Plus I like the different levels at the bottom of the tank. The commercial ones are about $20 each and generally only about 2 maybe 3 inches high. I know a little about various rocks, enough to know that not all rocks are suitable inside an aquarium. Anyway, you can buy a large bag of pond pebbles at Home Depot for $3-$4 (wash it thoroughly) then get aquarium safe silicone $3-$4. You'll need a little patience since it's like putting a horrible puzzle together and there are moments you'll have to let it sit for an hour to let the silicone set up a bit before adding more rock. Also, make sure you don't use any rocks with sharp edges.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388817181.311978.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388817205.158225.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388817233.100291.jpg

Also, you can make so much out of one bag of rocks. I even had a friend make a few large peices for their tank out of the bag.

How can you tell if it is aquarium safe silicone?

I saw this post and was struck with the idea to make hollow pillars a few inches tall to fill with gravel and plant my swords in them.

And possibly a waterfall above the tank.

I know there are several posts on here stating which large tubes of silicone is safe (the size you put in a caulk gun).

I bought a small tube at Home Depot (near the glue section next to paint) that stated "aquarium safe" it was a green and black package. If you get this tube, learn from my experience and wrap it in duck tape before you start using it. Otherwise, the metal tube ends up with small holes from squeezing it.

Back
Top Bottom