Rocks and wood from a creek :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
Found a lot of rocks on my excursion through the woods lol. I wish I could've taken this home, how awesome would this look an aquarium?!

Attachments

• image-363704641.jpg
    image-363704641.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 85
I have a bunch of rocks that I've collected over the years; what are the best type to put into a tank, and what types should be avoided (limestone, shale, etc)? Also, I'm guessing they would need to be boiled to get any nasties off the surface.

I hate to go to the LFS to buy rocks, esp if what I already have (mainly granite) will work.

In a very BIG aquarium it would look awesome!

I have two big pieces of DW in my garden that might fit in a 55g. Got them in the Outer Banks for maybe $10-15. Will be looking for more this summer. I cut off a piece from one and it's in my 20g.

Attachments

• image-1606560114.jpg
    image-1606560114.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 63
I have a bunch of rocks that I've collected over the years; what are the best type to put into a tank, and what types should be avoided (limestone, shale, etc)? Also, I'm guessing they would need to be boiled to get any nasties off the surface.

I hate to go to the LFS to buy rocks, esp if what I already have (mainly granite) will work.

I believe slate is okay. Not sure about flagstone. Some nurseries and garden centers have a pile of broken pieces and the sell them for cheap.

I know that testing with vinegar helps rule out a potential pH problem but I am wary when I see a nice stone but it has rust colored streaks. Could metals be present? Idk how to test for that.

Granites, Quartz Stones and some metamorphic rocks like Slate and Gneisses. These are tough rocks that don't react with water. If you ever get to the Adirondack region, they have tremendous rocks which is where I got mine (a couple with gorgeous red with black stripes)for my shrimp tank.

I boil all my rocks, but first I
1. Ensure there are no visible fractures.
2. Bring the rock up to a boil then let it cool back down before removing the rock. I don't dump the rock in boiling water and then remove it after a few minutes.

When it comes to boiling, there's differing opinions. This is just how I go about sterilizing new rock.

I'm guessing the reason for no visible fractures is to reduce the possibility of hitchhikers, and down the road, gunk building up in it, correct?

I'm guessing the reason for no visible fractures is to reduce the possibility of hitchhikers, and down the road, gunk building up in it, correct?

More because fractures are weaknesses in the rock. The reason why boiling is an issue with some is of the concern that a boiling rock could explode. Exploding rocks, from my perspective is more likely if you have

1. Weaker rocks that have fractures like shale and sandstone. While slate is known to split apart, a good inch thick slab of slate like those for a walkway
is remarkably tough.

2. A weakened rock that is exposed to a sudden thermal shock ... in other words heating up and then cooling down very quickly like dumping a fractured rock into boiling water, then removing and rinsing with cold water.

3. Boiling water trapped in fractures when a rock is removed could evaporate very quickly ..basically steam ... which could explode out the fracture.

This is why I bring the rock up to a boil, then let it cool back down in the pot.
It is a bit annoying waiting ... but I find it's safer.

Some of my rocks. The two on top and the piece of wood have been boiled and scrubbed down and are drying. The pile at the bottom are rocks I'm working on scrubbing, but currently am taking a break, my hands hurt!

Attachments

• image-2485056029.jpg
    image-2485056029.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom