Rocks in a planted....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksteady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just about setup time and looking through some photo's I realized that I have no grabed any rocks yet. Leads me to this question. Is there a good/better/best of rocks out there I should be after, and is there any forsure do nots ?

You'll want to find benign rocks, rocks that won't affect your water parameters. For the most part, you're generally safe, and there's a quick and easy test you can do with vinegar to see if what you've found is safe. The best place to find rocks, IMO, is at a local landscaping company. Stay away from limestone and similiar stuff that will leach into the water, otherwise you're pretty much okay.

I'd recommend that you clean them thoroughly and boil them before putting them in your tank. Yes, boil them, as in put them in a pot on your stove. Funny stuff, right? This will ensure that there's no living nasties on them that you'd want to prevent getting into your tank.

Well we are talking about boiling stuff... Wanna explain blanching I think it was I read in one of your posts. Boiling or microwaving of a veggie before you place into the tank. What are you gaining by doing this ?

You want rocks that will not effect your KH. Slate is a popular choice. Boiling kills any critters living on the rocks.

Blanching is giving a veggie a quick dip in boiling water, 30 seconds in a microwave with some water does the same thing. Makes the veggies softer and more palatable.

Back
Top Bottom