Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbjrc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm just curious where everyone has gotten their rocks from you put in your tanks? Did you buy them in the store? Or just collect them outside? Is there any special prep you must do to them before placing them in the tank?

Thanks!!!

I got my rocks/coral from my dad's SW aquarium. I have em in a 55 gal FW now. It raises the PH slightly and makes the water harder (I think) but other than that no problems. The fish seem to love em. I think my pop got em from his LFS in Florida somewhere.

I have used rocks from the local riverbed. I soaked them in a bucket to test and see if it raised the pH or hardness significantly before using them.

Then I put them all in the sink and poured boiling water over them, let them cool, scrubbed with a scrub brush, rinsed and put in the tank. :) They look pretty neat if I do say so myself. :) Lots of work collecting them but it was family fun AND free! :)

For my freshwater tanks, I use crushed quartz and store bought shale that doesn't change the chemistry. All washed and cleaned before putting into the tank.

For my salt water tank, since things are so sensitive. I picked up a bunch of rocks from the back yard and threw them right in the tank with sand from a local construction site.

Local landscaping places are a good source too, although they can be a bit pricey. I rinse with water, but that's about all I do.

Landscaping places, Lowes, Home Depot, outdoors.
Just makes sure you know what you are putting in your tank and you clean it. I usually soak them in water with a littel bleach and hose them off, soak them in regular water and hose them off again.

I got all of my slate from Home Depot for $8. At LFS's, they charge $8 for 1 piece of slate!

Back
Top Bottom