Rockwork Advice for Noob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Based on how you described your reaction is to things bumping the glass, I think that siliconing or flat rock are going to be your best options. Unfortunately, if you build large structures, vaccuming around/under them becomes very difficult. Best of luck with your DIY structures.

Wy Renegade said:
Based on how you described your reaction is to things bumping the glass, I think that siliconing or flat rock are going to be your best options. Unfortunately, if you build large structures, vaccuming around/under them becomes very difficult. Best of luck with your DIY structures.

Agreed. I'm also paranoid about blowing the bottom out of the tank from too much weight, so it will be relatively lightweight. I'm planning to factor in the ability to clean it easily.

Is doing the vinegar test and boiling sufficient? What if the stones had been sprayed with round-up or pesticide or weed control X number of years ago unbeknownst to me?

Is doing the vinegar test and boiling sufficient? What if the stones had been sprayed with round-up or pesticide or weed control X number of years ago unbeknownst to me?

Well, I'm no chemist but if we are talking years here those pesticides are probably long gone depending on the compounds sprayed. (The biggest problem with pesticides today is they wash into streams and Rivers, So I think with a couple years of Rain, snow melt it should be ok)

Are The Rocks Porous? I think a combo of Vinegar, boiling and a Bleach soak, and a good rinse/soak in Tank water for the final stage should be ok.

My rocks were in the same boat, Exposed to Round up and Scotts Fertilizer (yearly) and I just did Vinegar , Boiled and then Tank water soak I was fine. I will be doing the Bleach in the future to set my mind at ease.

Pton46 said:
Well, I'm no chemist but if we are talking years here those pesticides are probably long gone depending on the compounds sprayed. (The biggest problem with pesticides today is they wash into streams and Rivers, So I think with a couple years of Rain, snow melt it should be ok)

Are The Rocks Porous? I think a combo of Vinegar, boiling and a Bleach soak, and a good rinse/soak in Tank water for the final stage should be ok.

My rocks were in the same boat, Exposed to Round up and Scotts Fertilizer (yearly) and I just did Vinegar , Boiled and then Tank water soak I was fine. I will be doing the Bleach in the future to set my mind at ease.

That is exactly my situation. Round-up/fertilizer every year. More recently, round-up only about two months ago and grass fertilizer granule only about a month ago.

(I'll use your phrase). I'm no geologist :) but if I Google Black River Rock it looks exactly like what I have picked out of my yard. I would think that all types of rock are porous. I'm reluctant to use bleach in that I would think that bleach would 'soak' into the rock and potentially not rinse out completely. However, I did soak them overnight in vinegar. My last step was to boil them in clean water for about 20-30 minutes. The water did not foam and there was no odor. (Side note: Trying to boil water on a grill burner when it is 45f outside is impossible.)

I just wonder of that is enough to kill/rinse out any toxins.

BTW, I read in other forums that non-toxic hot glue can be used as well. Is this really safe?

Malawi Freak said:
... If weight concerns you put some eggcrate under your substrate. It's cheap and really distributes the weight

I read this frequently. Anyone have a pic of this stuff?

Labenator65000 said:

Just go to google and type in fluorescent light egg crate. Home depot carries it for $13 for a 4'x2' piece but I thought they also carry a 15 pack for the same price.

Malawi Freak said:
Just go to google and type in fluorescent light egg crate. Home depot carries it for $13 for a 4'x2' piece but I thought they also carry a 15 pack for the same price.

Thanks. That was nothing at all like I was picturing. The word "fluorescent" triggered the search to work. I thought everyone was talking about the pink wavy foam packing material that one finds in boxes packed with fragile items. So is this stuff (the real thing) found readily available in hardware stores, etc?

Just to clarify...those egg crates are placed under the rock work to help stabilize the pile? Do they go under the substrate too? A single layer? I don't mean to hijack the thread...but I read about it several times without full understanding. Thanks!

You will place the crate down under your substrate then place the heavy rock on top of the egg crate. Once the rock is on top add your substrate. This way the rock doesn't get undermined and come crumbling down.

Mark388 said:
You will place the crate down under your substrate then place the heavy rock on top of the egg crate. Once the rock is on top add your substrate. This way the rock doesn't get undermined and come crumbling down.

Awesome! Thanks...great easy explanation! ;-)

Labenator65000 said:
OK I'm going to ask a series of dumb questions. Bear with me, please.

I have a 55 gallon with a handful of Mbuna, but no rockwork. Oh I have ceramic (etc) decor that provides a few hiding places (artificial logs, caves, etc), and a good amount of artificial plants, but I feel like I should start adding/replacing with some rockwork. However, I'm paranoid about breaking the glass tank either by bumping the glass walls or by overloading it with weight.

My stand is completely open underneath the tank (maybe all stands are like this). Is there any need for concern about the weight blowing out the bottom of the tank?

I'm rather anal about water changes (Hi, Jess). I do 50% weekly, completely rearranging and aggressively vacuuming every inch of gravel every time. How do you folks with heavy stones go about cleaning? I about have a heart attack every time a piece of decor just bumps the glass wall. I'd have to be sedated before I could move heavy stones around to vacuum underneath.

I'm also debating on whether I should use round-type stone like river rock, or use slate, etc instead? Do necessarily need to buy new stone, or can I just go shopping in my yard? I have tons and tons of rock that one purchases buy the bag or truckload for landscaping islands. I also have a few big flagstones that I could potentially break up into manageable sizes.

I appreciate any advice!

If your stand is solid wood like oak, you will probably be ok. Just depends on how it's made.

All my rocks and boulders are from my yard. Just rinse and scrub all dirt and debris from them with only fresh water. No chemicals.

I have hit the sides of the tank many times with the rocks. It's still in one piece. Lol.

For my 125 I laid the egg crate across the bottom, then poured sand in, and rocks on top. My favorite part about having it is just in case your fish start to dig holes they can't go all the way down allowing rocks to come in contact with glass.

So I guess an assumption could be made that eggcrate is more beneficial to tanks with sand in them, rather than gravel?

Yes I would say egg crate is more beneficial for sand the gavel.

Unless you have some big cichlids that move gravel around like an excavator they wouldn't be moving the gravel that's under a giant rock.

However sand is easy to move and any cichlid will dig there way through it undermining the rock.

Labenator65000 said:

This is my tank before setup and you can see the egg crate underneath.
Hope the picture is clear enough.
I got mine from hardware shop.

Sa1nt said:
This is my tank before setup and you can see the egg crate underneath.
Hope the picture is clear enough.
I got mine from hardware shop.

+1 this is how mine looked

Back
Top Bottom