RODI Water, Adding Minerals or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TSCEC6B

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! I having been battling with myself on what is the correct thing to do. I have. 125 gallon discus planted tank with some other fish thy go well with discus in it. Also have a 40 gallon goldfish tank. I have been using strait RODI water in it. The first fill was with strait tap water. My water parameters in my discus tank are

Ph - 7.6
Ammonia -0
Nitrite -0
Nitrate -0
Gh -125
Kh -107
High ph -7.4

I have been doing weekly water changes of 23 gallons a week. And the water parameters have not changed. I understand that my GH and KH should be softer for discus than most. I understand that I should be adding Minerals back into the water before adding strait RODI water in my tanks correct? My concern is that if I do that using a product like Equalibrim that it will make my GH and KH in my discus tank to shoot up. There are plants in there so I don’t want my fish or plants to die by using water changes with RODI water. My thought is to keep using RODI till my GH and KH get lower then start using RODI water that I have added minerals back into it. Am I wrong for thinking that? Should I just add the Minerals back into it? Will it not cause my GH and KH to go higher in my tank if I do so? Thanks so much!

Hey everyone! I having been battling with myself on what is the correct thing to do. I have. 125 gallon discus planted tank with some other fish thy go well with discus in it. Also have a 40 gallon goldfish tank. I have been using strait RODI water in it. The first fill was with strait tap water. My water parameters in my discus tank are

Ph - 7.6

Ammonia -0

Nitrite -0

Nitrate -0

Gh -125

Kh -107

High ph -7.4

I have been doing weekly water changes of 23 gallons a week. And the water parameters have not changed. I understand that my GH and KH should be softer for discus than most. I understand that I should be adding Minerals back into the water before adding strait RODI water in my tanks correct? My concern is that if I do that using a product like Equalibrim that it will make my GH and KH in my discus tank to shoot up. There are plants in there so I don’t want my fish or plants to die by using water changes with RODI water. My thought is to keep using RODI till my GH and KH get lower then start using RODI water that I have added minerals back into it. Am I wrong for thinking that? Should I just add the Minerals back into it? Will it not cause my GH and KH to go higher in my tank if I do so? Thanks so much!

Equilibrium uses sulphate compounds so it won’t affect KH but will affect GH. Having taken everything in to consideration I don’t think any changes you make regarding what water and minerals you decide to use will have any bearing on the overall health of the tank. My advice would be to use tap water and observe the Discus. If they seem happy then continue.

Back
Top Bottom