Roku's Native Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys,

Instead of spam the other thread, I thought I'd start my own to keep track of my new natives. Hope to keep them from babies all the way to senior citizens, but you never know what life will throw at you next.

10/17/2013 - 3 Ameiurus nebulosus and 2 Erimyzon sucetta arrive from Zimmerman's Fish and enter quarantine in a 10g barebottom tank with an Aquaclear 20 on it. The tank will only be up for two weeks so the filter is only running mechanical, carbon and ammonia remover since there's no intention of cycling it. They're destined for a new 75g which will be planted with native plant species.

The bullheads (which I got 3 of despite ordering 2 (y) ) are between .75" and 1". The chubsuckers are 1 to 1.5". The fish seem interested in NLS Thera +A on day one, but quickly shun it. They will pick it up and immediately spit it out. Bullheads are constantly in a frenzy and the chubsuckers hide a lot.

The bullheads don't stay together but if they happen to run into each other they form a small group for a short period of time and follow each other around until they get separated again.

Day 1 photos:

jXcrcoS.jpg

0qDLyez.jpg

Bzqy5W6.jpg

10/19/2013 - Now that the fish have settled in the bullheads are a bit less frantic. The chubsuckers are active now and have a familiar way of swimming that I can't quite place. I'm totally in love with them for some reason.

I picked up some live black worms today and tried it - it caused a feeding frenzy lol. Everyone was interested and the bullheads ate as much as they could and then went into a food coma under the driftwood. Even the chubsuckers grabbed a few. I may have to start raising my own live food if it's what these guys are really interested in. Was a pretty amusing sight seeing the tiny bullheads chase down the worms.

Day 3 video ('cause its better than my blurry pics, but its still a phone video);

Cool. I started the other thread and will follow this one so keep it updated. Not nearly enough folks keep natives.

Once I stick a light on their tank I'll be able to take some videos of them during dinner time - I took a few already but the lighting in their room is so dismal that you really can't see much.

Nice fish! When I look down at my catfish swimming they remind me of little sharks patrolling around haha.

Nice job, following along as well. Interested to see how you go with this. Any thoughts on exactly which native plants you'll be using?

Sigh. The bigger of the two chubsuckers took a flying leap onto the carpet when I wasn't around, so I'm down to one now. I'll have to order a few more when their final tank is set up and I have this one free to quarantine in.

I'm not too familiar with US native plants but Elodea canadensis, the big vals and bacopa caroliniana were ones I think I'd looked at. There was some kind of little floating thing too.. can't think of the name.

The scape will end up being PFS with 3-4 pieces of driftwood and some river-esque rocks. Whether I want to or not it'll probably be heavily planted with how fast the elodea can take off, but we'll see how jungly things get with a single Catalina t5HO.

Finally got a video of them eating, might be a bit too bright. You can already see some of the great mottling that these specimens have;

Just a small update: Bullheads and chubsucker are now in a sand-bottom 29g that I resealed for the time being and doing great. I feed them live blackworms every other day. I had to move to a new apartment last month so I haven't had much time to do anything involved with my tanks. I did pick up some elodea and green cabomba today for them though. I'll try to get some videos up soon.

Back
Top Bottom