roots above substrate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enriquez1807

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Its not a huge issue but they aren't very attractive and I'm wondering why they are there. I could just continually cut the back but they'll just grow back and that defeats the purpose. The culprits are a dwarf lilly and a cluster of red wendtii (hope i spelled that right). Any help or ideas will be appreciated.

Good question, my red wendtii crypt roots do the same thing. I have placed sand over them, cut them, and push them down further into the subtrate. So, I want to know what to do as well.

Somewhat the nature of the beast ... I've got a few Crypts who's roots stick up out of the sand so I just push them back when I get the chance. You could try putting stones around the plants so at least the weigh down the roots.

Well i know with stem plants it comes to be expected because thats how they "reproduce" however the issue im having is with rooted plants. My lilly is from a bulb as a matter of fact, i dont believe roots above the subatrate is "normal" for them. I could be wrong but thats my understanding of it.

Often times adding root tabs will actually keep the roots growing down as they are looking for nutrients. Plants like Swords, Crypts, and Lotus/Lilies all are heavy root feeders so if there aren't enough nutrients available in the substrate they go to the surface looking for it.

Back
Top Bottom