Rummynose tetras became shy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vladka

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was fascinated and in love when I first got my rummynose tetras, they were super active and really brought my tank to life! They encouraged all my other fish to come out and it was great. Now, they’re always hiding in a corner! It’s been a few months like this now... the only thing I can think of that changed is I added some Bolivian rams, 2 at first and now it’s up to 6. Another thing is I added a second light for the plants. Could either of these be the problem, and can I fix it?

90 gallon
20 rummynose tetras
2 angelfish
15 Odessa barbs
6 Bolivian rams
2 bristlensoe pelcos
1 black red tail shark
3 pearl Gouramis

IMG_6289.jpg

Picture is a little old, the opaline Gouramis have since been switched out to pearls and more Bolivians have been added, tank set up is otherwise pretty much the same.

I've had fish that weren't used to brighter lights and when I introduced them they hid for awhile. Also, the Angelfish could have decided they don't like the Rummynose school.

I've had fish that weren't used to brighter lights and when I introduced them they hid for awhile. Also, the Angelfish could have decided they don't like the Rummynose school.

How long would it reasonably take for them to get used to the brighter lights? Would it be worth testing the theory out by turning one of theM off for a week?
I’ve had angels in there for many years, but one of them is new so it’s possible something changed there, I have a feeling I have 2 males this time instead of a pair.

I would just watch from a good distance while the lights are off and see if they come out.

I would just watch from a good distance while the lights are off and see if they come out.

Okay, so I turned off just the light in the back and they did start to swim back and forth more, but not so much up, but maybe they would take more time. They don’t seem to come out more when the light is dim or not as intense, only when it is off, and the front light doesn’t bother them. When both are off they go to “sleep” is there a way to keep both lights for the plants but make the rummies more active again? I have water lettuce and stuff on some of the top already creating some shade...

I think they will get used to the light eventually.

As long as you can rule out any bullying, such as what happens at 0:48 in this video. It only takes a second, but it could keep the rummynose in hiding.

https://youtu.be/iv_GMQkZ-Y0

It’s been a few months already and they’re not used to it if that’s the problem. I’ll try and post a video of my tank in action, but I don’t think there’s any real bullying going on, if anyone I’d guess the gouramis, because all the others will occasionally hang out in the corner with them and my angels are pretty mellow.

Okay, here’s a video I made, they’re a little active in the beginning because I just fed them, and then it is a good example of how they usually are about halfway through where they just sit in the corner most of the time and occasionally come out to the middle and then run back to the corner, seemingly unprovoked.
https://youtu.be/63QeiJHpKYw

Hello Vlad...

Your Tetras are scared. They school or group together when they feel threatened. They're threatened by all your Cichlids. Rams and Angelfish primarily. You have other aggressive fish in the tank too. Like your Gouramis and the Shark. This situation with the Tetras really isn't surprising to me.

B

Hello Vlad...

Your Tetras are scared. They school or group together when they feel threatened. They're threatened by all your Cichlids. Rams and Angelfish primarily. You have other aggressive fish in the tank too. Like your Gouramis and the Shark. This situation with the Tetras really isn't surprising to me.

B

Hi,
This is possible. But they were distinctly okay with the angelfish before, and with opaline Gouramis. I now have pearl Gouramis instead and added the rams. I wouldn’t think the rams are an issue since a couple of them made their territory near the tetras and they still hang out there, plus they keep to the bottom. It’s possible the Gouramis are being bullies though.
There is a lot of hiding spaces for them and they’re out for feeding time. I’m wondering if there’s a way to make them happy again?

Back
Top Bottom