Safe sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishinfreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just wondering if "washed sand" would be aquarium safe (after cleaning). Idk what it is exactly, but I know it is used for beaches sometimes.

I went to our local piersons and bought sand blasting sand. Its large grit, and not much dust. Rince through it a few times. I got 100lbs for 10 $.

Play sand isn't wise because its got clay in It as well as its very dusty

I used white play sand, and boy did it have clay in it. However, after a bunch of rinsing, the clay was washed out and it works and looks great!!

I like pool filter sand personally. Doesn't need much rinsing. Doesn't get sucked into the filter because it's too large grit and stays on the bottom. Good stuff.

So I should just go with one of those instead? The only reason I went with this is that it was easy for me to get, and I didn't have to buy 50+ lbs. ( this is going with dirt in a small tank)

I just bought 50lbs of play sand for $2.50 at Lowes. But the one that I got is a big darker and it's got larger bits of pebbles in it. A friend of mine picked some up for me a few years ago for my kids sand box and it isn't the standard pretty white play sand. It looks softer like its an older sand.
I did look up the washed sand and I honestly don't know if it's good or not but it doesn't look horrid. The right sand for the job  - Better Homes and Gardens - Yahoo!7 It might work. Here is another link that might help Definition of washed sand

Back
Top Bottom