Safe way to increase pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessibell

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my tank is almost done cycling, but the piece of driftwood i put in a couple weeks ago has stained the water brown and made it slightly acidic (even though i soaked the wood for a week before putting it into the tank) My pH tester is only a high range kit so it doesn't register on the chart, but it must be rather acidic because the colour is way below the colour of 7.4. Is there something I can add that will increase the pH to a more neutral - alkaline reading of between 7 and 7.9 and keep it stable? My treated tap water has a pH of 7.6. I have heard that pH buffers can be sketchy and tend to jossle the pH and send it up and down which is stressful on the fish.

I would get a low range test and determine what it actually is... what are you attempting to keep in the tank that requires raising the pH?

I personally don't mess with pH.

A stable pH is better than adjusting one. If you keep trying to adjust it, it fluctuates which isn't healthy for the fish. Eventually, no matter how religiously you use whatever means of adjusting the pH, like chemicals, crushed coral etc, they do wear off, causing the fluctuating.

Yeah I have heard this... I was just a little leary because I have never had a pH that was any lower than 7.6-8.2 and my fish always did well. I'll pick up a low range kit today but will probably just leave the pH well enough alone.

After the cycle is complete you will do a large water change which will bring the tank up closer to your tap water and be close to where you tank will actually be with regular PWC's. I agree with fort get a kit that will give you the true number, and if after the PWC you are in a safe range dont mess with it.

Despite the well intentioned advice of this board I tried changing my PH and they were right, I chased it around and finally did a massive water change and let it be. Everybody adjusted to the PH fine after I stopped trying to make it textbook perfect.

Agree, don't mess with it.
I don't think that the driftwood is powerful enough to drop the pH to the acidic level. I guess that will be really close to 7.4

Alrighty, it is settled. Good advice. I just whipped out my low range test kit that i just bought... and there's no colour chart inside!! *facepalm*

I don't think that the driftwood is powerful enough to drop the pH to the acidic level.

New driftwood can and will lower the ph. It can take months to properly leach the tannins out.

Back
Top Bottom