Sage's 20 Gal Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sage

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! I know I am pretty new here but decided to start a thread to follow my progress through setting up my first tank ever, and a planted one at that!

The reason behind this thread is mainly for me to be able to get advice along my journey through fish-keeping without having to make a bunch of threads. I have no experience with this really and definitely could use some help!

My first (potential) issue is the water quality of my tap water. I just ran all the tests from the API Master Freshwater and GH/KH kits, and below are the results.

Tap Water Test Results:
  • pH: 8.4 - 8.8 (?)
  • Ammonia: 0 ppm
  • Nitrite: 0 ppm
  • Nitrate: 0 ppm
  • KH: 1 dKH / 17.9 ppm
  • GH: 10 dKH / 179 ppm

As you can see above, pretty normal readings as far as I know; except for the glaringly obvious pH and GH. This is straight tap water and I followed testing instructions to the letter as far as I can tell. The pH test result was hard to determine and it may have even been over 8.8.

Not sure how these parameters will affect my aquarium. From what I have learned in my research, that pH level will need to be dealt with. Any recommendations for how to lower the pH level to an idea range for freshwater fish / plants? I have read about special water additives to help control pH levels, would anyone recommend that route?

Also, do I need to be worried about the GH results, and if so, how would you recommend going about lowering them?

First fish tank! Wow! Well im following. Driftwood and Peat are the two best natural ways to lower pH, and in my 60g planted tank it was at 8.2 pH and I added a large piece of DW in there and it's now at 6.8 and stable, perfect for my angelfish :) now, you will need to cycle your tank before you start to worry too much about the parameters. Do you know any plants you want? Substrate, lighting, filters, etc? I recommend Eco-Complete, Flourite, Flora Max, Fluval Stratum, AquaSoil or you could just dirt the tank...low light or high light plants? I don't really like the off the shelf meds for fish tanks.

First fish tank! Wow! Well im following. Driftwood and Peat are the two best natural ways to lower pH, and in my 60g planted tank it was at 8.2 pH and I added a large piece of DW in there and it's now at 6.8 and stable, perfect for my angelfish :) now, you will need to cycle your tank before you start to worry too much about the parameters. Do you know any plants you want? Substrate, lighting, filters, etc? I recommend Eco-Complete, Flourite, Flora Max, Fluval Stratum, AquaSoil or you could just dirt the tank...low light or high light plants? I don't really like the off the shelf meds for fish tanks.

Thanks for the reply!

The driftwood idea is interesting. I will definitely have to look into that. The other option I was considering was mixing in some purified water with the tap but that would be a hassle (not to mention expensive).

I plan on doing a fishless cycle starting sometime soon. I haven't decided exactly which plants I want but do plan on sticking with low-light plants to start; maybe one of the higher-light plants just to test (mostly because I want a cool carpet-type plant :) ).

I have already purchased 40 lbs of Eco-Complete substrate for the tank; from what my research turned up it sounds like a good basic one (and supposedly one that doesn't harm catfish, which is good because I have thought about getting some eventually).

As far as other equipment goes, I got an AquaClear 50 filter which I plan to use (I have read a lot of recommendations about over-sizing the filter and heard many good things about this particular filter). My plan is to replace the carbon layer with a second foam layer since from what I have read carbon isn't really necessary, and by having two foam pads I can replace one when need be and let the other seed it. Also going with the included "BioMax" stuff but from what I have read everyone seems to say do NOT replace filter media unless it is falling apart so that's my plan.

I purchase a Fluval E-100 heater which should hopefully be a nice fit for the tank. I like the fact it has an integrated display and shield. I also plan on setting up a basic DIY CO2 system and have purchased a small diffuser for that along with the other necessary supplies.

My hope is to get the tank set up and begin the cycling process sometime over the next few days or weekend. I have an order of slate that still needs to come in but I plan on adding that later. Also as far as plants go not many places around here sell live plants so I have to order online; not a problem if it wasn't 0 degrees out but I think I may need to wait a bit for the weather to cooperate.

Question: Are there any particular properties I should look for in a piece of driftwood if my goal is to naturally lower my pH level (size, type, preparation, etc)?

PS: No matter how hard I try to keep my posts short and succinct they still seem to stretch on forever; need to find a way to stop that... :hide:

Thanks for the reply!

The driftwood idea is interesting. I will definitely have to look into that. The other option I was considering was mixing in some purified water with the tap but that would be a hassle (not to mention expensive).

I plan on doing a fishless cycle starting sometime soon. I haven't decided exactly which plants I want but do plan on sticking with low-light plants to start; maybe one of the higher-light plants just to test (mostly because I want a cool carpet-type plant :) ).

I have already purchased 40 lbs of Eco-Complete substrate for the tank; from what my research turned up it sounds like a good basic one (and supposedly one that doesn't harm catfish, which is good because I have thought about getting some eventually).

As far as other equipment goes, I got an AquaClear 50 filter which I plan to use (I have read a lot of recommendations about over-sizing the filter and heard many good things about this particular filter). My plan is to replace the carbon layer with a second foam layer since from what I have read carbon isn't really necessary, and by having two foam pads I can replace one when need be and let the other seed it. Also going with the included "BioMax" stuff but from what I have read everyone seems to say do NOT replace filter media unless it is falling apart so that's my plan.

I purchase a Fluval E-100 heater which should hopefully be a nice fit for the tank. I like the fact it has an integrated display and shield. I also plan on setting up a basic DIY CO2 system and have purchased a small diffuser for that along with the other necessary supplies.

My hope is to get the tank set up and begin the cycling process sometime over the next few days or weekend. I have an order of slate that still needs to come in but I plan on adding that later. Also as far as plants go not many places around here sell live plants so I have to order online; not a problem if it wasn't 0 degrees out but I think I may need to wait a bit for the weather to cooperate.

Question: Are there any particular properties I should look for in a piece of driftwood if my goal is to naturally lower my pH level (size, type, preparation, etc)?

PS: No matter how hard I try to keep my posts short and succinct they still seem to stretch on forever; need to find a way to stop that... :hide:

Sounds like you know your stuff good already! Everything sounds good...have you seen my 60g? It may give you a few ideas with DWand slate and plants. Nothing special to look for in DW, and lol, I like people that write novels in a reply like that, i have a habit myself :lol:

Sounds like you know your stuff good already! Everything sounds good...have you seen my 60g? It may give you a few ideas with DWand slate and plants. Nothing special to look for in DW, and lol, I like people that write novels in a reply like that, i have a habit myself :lol:

Definitely have checked out your tank and am very jealous. :oops:

I should have bought a bigger tank... :banghead:

;)

This post was shortish! But heavy with smilies... :dance:

Definitely have checked out your tank and am very jealous. :oops:

I should have bought a bigger tank... :banghead:

;)

This post was shortish! But heavy with smilies... :dance:

Have you seen Rivercats? She recently won TOTM for her 220g. Lol, that's how it starts. You start your first tank, and you keep wanting more and more...don't worry, I have MTS along with lots more :oops: So, if you want a carpet plant, you will need some strong light for that. Here is a list of low light plants if you want to start there though

Back
Top Bottom