Sailfin Tang versus Yellow Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Memphis Whale

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have these two species together? Im thinking of getting a Sailfin Tang.Do they also hide alot like my Yellow Tang does?? And are they hardy ?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

How big is your tank?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

if adding 2 different species of tangs it's best to add both at the same time
this will aid with better results as there is no territory established yet and keep any fighting over space to a minimum

adding a tang to a tank that already houses a tang , there most likely will be a blood bath
it's not worth the risk

I have them both in my tank. They should be added at the same time to eliminate territorial issues.

i currently have a purple tang and yellow tang in the same tank:) they didnt go in together but let me jsut stress that it was an absolute nightmare getting them to co-exist... if i had to do it again, no way.

Still it all depends on the size of your tank,

Salifin and yellow are pretty hardy in my experience.

My yellow is the biggest bully in my tank. She thinks she runs the place. Very annoying. She doesn't mess with my blue tang but they were added at the same time. I would love to add another one possibly a naso tang but know theres no way without somebody being injured or killed.

Between the two ive heard Sailfins to be more of the agressor.. and like seaweed said, if u get both add them at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A naso is from a different family... I added one to our tank well after the purple and yellow and he was fine

It helps, but there can still be bullying behavior between tangs as they feel each other out. That tied in with not being enough room or places to hide, this behavior can easily lead to the death of one if not all involved.

Back
Top Bottom