Salintiy Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

22engine

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank has been set up for about a week and my salinity is 1.022 I would like to get it up to 1.024. So my question is should I start water changes to get it up. I had the fish store make the RO salt water with a higher salt than they did the first time. But I havent had a sign of a cycle yet so I don't know if I should just wait till after the cycle to change the water with the higher salt batch or is I can start now. Any help I appreciate

Ya it hasn't started yet as far as I can tell. No readings. Everything is zero

Ok changes five gallons of water out. Which come out to about 20 to 25%. Its a 29 biocube but it only held four five gallon buckets of water when I set it up

Have you added any source of ammonia to start the cycle? Without a source of ammonia your cycle will never start

I know people are going to jump down my throat about this but I was convinced at the LFS to use a yellowtail damsel cause it was better than a shrimp. I have since learned this isn't the best and wouldnt again but I had to live and learn. They insisted that everyone does it. Anyway I have found a different store now after everything I have learned. I also have 25 lbs of live sand and also live rock. My Ph finally came up to 8.2 after being around 7.6 which I was happy about. I am seeing some minor allege growth on some of the base rock. Not sure if the ph is a sign of things to come. Will check it again tomorrow and see if it is stabilizing

Also the new fish store I went to sold me a cup and a half of there live sand from there established tank to help the cycle

If you want to raise the salinity slowly without waterchanges then just use saltwater as your top off water until the level rises to where you want it.

Schism said:
If you want to raise the salinity slowly without waterchanges then just use saltwater as your top off water until the level rises to where you want it.

I wi be trying that as well thanks. I went ahead and did a five gallon change today with the higher salinity salt water and will use some from my other five gallons I have for top off. I am trying to keep two or three five gallon buckets in my garage incase I ever need it and that's what I use for the changes.

Back
Top Bottom