Salt bath

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MermaidGurl

Aquarium Advice Activist
How so I do a salt bath? The fish I have that I will be using the salt bath for is a female Mickey Mouse Platy. Do I need both a filter and a heater, or just a heater? How much salt? What kind of salt(Epsom, aquarium salt, table salt)?

No, I don't think you need either of those equipment in the salt bath unless you're letting it stay in the bath for over an hour then I think you'll have to put a heater in. It's a tablespoon of salt per gallon.

No, I don't think you need either of those equipment in the salt bath unless you're letting it stay in the bath for over an hour then I think you'll have to put a heater in. It's a tablespoon of salt per gallon.

May I ask what kind of salt?

About the kind of salt, aquarium salt is good. Personally, I've used kosher salt when I ran out of aquarium salt and it worked just fine although I have to put extra dechlorinator on the mixture as a precaution. Make sure you avoid iodized salt cause it can kill your fish.

I would think the type of salt would depend on the situation. OP, why are you doing the salt bath to your platy?

I would think the type of salt would depend on the situation. OP, why are you doing the salt bath to your platy?

It's because she has a bump on her chin, and I'm not quite sure why it is so as a precaution, I'm giving her a salt bath.

Ok. I'm not sure what kind of salt would be needed so you'll have to wait for someone else to chime in.

I think epsom salt is more for bloating/dropsy type issues.

Ok. I'm not sure what kind of salt would be needed so you'll have to wait for someone else to chime in.

I think epsom salt is more for bloating/dropsy type issues.

That's what I thought too, but I was busting making sure.

Maybe you can try hydrogen peroxide swabs. I haven't tried it personally but I've read it's effective on abrasions and skin infections. Just be careful not to overdo it cause in could be fatal.

Back
Top Bottom