Salt dip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MermaidGurl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, so I believe my Platy may have a skin parasite so I am going to give her a salt bath/ dip. The salt dip will be 2 litres. How much aquarium salt do I put in the two litres and how long do I leave her in there for?

Half a tablespoon of salt. Make sure it's aquarium salt or kosher salt as iodine or anti calling agents can harm your fish!

I've read that you should leave her in the bath for up to half an hour, but watch carefully for any strange behavior! If she swims frantically when you out her in, take her out immediately! Other signs of stress are gasping or lethargic floating. Basically if anything about her behavior looks abnormal, you should put her back in the tank to avoid hurting her!

Half a tablespoon of salt. Make sure it's aquarium salt or kosher salt as iodine or anti calling agents can harm your fish!

I've read that you should leave her in the bath for up to half an hour, but watch carefully for any strange behavior! If she swims frantically when you out her in, take her out immediately! Other signs of stress are gasping or lethargic floating. Basically if anything about her behavior looks abnormal, you should put her back in the tank to avoid hurting her!

Thanks!

Feel free to do much less! You are trying to stress the parasite to death without harming your fish so a very conservative approach is a good idea, certainly for a first treatment!

Also use old tank water so the fish doesn't have to endure much temperature change.

Feel free to do much less! You are trying to stress the parasite to death without harming your fish so a very conservative approach is a good idea, certainly for a first treatment!

Also use old tank water so the fish doesn't have to endure much temperature change.

Thank you, I don't want to stress her out too much and right now she is in a heated and filtered quarantine tank.

Thank you, I don't want to stress her out too much and right now she is in a heated and filtered quarantine tank.

Also, do I keep the same salt dip for each time, or do I make a new one for each time?

Do a new one each time. The main reason is that this will keep exactly the same chemistry and temperature in the bath as the fish is used to in the tank.

What parasites are you treating for?

The dose I always use for skin flukes and chilodonella is 15 -25g per litre. The fish can be placed in this for up to 15 minutes, but as with any short term 'dip' treatment, remove the fish if it shows signs of stress.

At 25g per litre, skin flukes will literally explode within a couple of minutes or less.

I have seen platies thrown into marine tanks (to feed marine lionfish) survive for more than a day! They may have lasted longer without the lionfish there!!

Use a litre of tank water and just put an airstone in maybe, although for the time period, you should be fine

What parasites are you treating for?

The dose I always use for skin flukes and chilodonella is 15 -25g per litre. The fish can be placed in this for up to 15 minutes, but as with any short term 'dip' treatment, remove the fish if it shows signs of stress.

At 25g per litre, skin flukes will literally explode within a couple of minutes or less.

I have seen platies thrown into marine tanks (to feed marine lionfish) survive for more than a day! They may have lasted longer without the lionfish there!!

Use a litre of tank water and just put an airstone in maybe, although for the time period, you should be fine

Thanks! I'm pretty sure it's just a skin parasite as there is a small bump on her chin which she occasionally itches

I think I am going to give her a salt bath now, thank you to everyone who has replied and if you have any other suggestions, please add!

The parasite came right off! Thank you guys so much for the help, I really appreciate it! You guys are the best :)

You get baby ones, lol.

There are a few similar ones, that one is the one I am most familiar with .

I am intrigued to know what it was, but I guess I never will. The important thing is, you got it off the fish. Well done you

Back
Top Bottom