Salt or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anythingscales

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 60 gallon and Ive always wanted a salt tank. Should I turn the 60 into a salt tank? I have a Helios 48watt strip and might get 1 or 2 more. I was thinking if I went salt, Id have to get a new filter, probally a AC110 or something. What else would I need, in the future, I would only want some live rocks, anenome and some clownfish that would co-exist with each other, maybe some shrimp that wouldnt disturb the rocks.

If you have it cleaned out, yes you could turn it into a saltwater tank. I would suggest getting live sand as your substrate, and add some live rock if you would like too. Shrimp, hermits, and snail would all do nicely in there too for beginners, as well as the clownfish, but you would definatly have to hold off on the anemone. Anemones require strong lighting, as well as corals (3-5 watts per gallon) and should generally be placed in tanks that have been established for a year or so, otherwise they do not do as well. Look up high powerd florescence lights for lighting if you want corals and such, otherwise the light would work for a Fish Only tank. Ask more questions and get all the info you can first, that would be the best way to go about this. Good luck and welcome to Aquarium Advice!

thanks for the comments. I will be adding more lights soon, unfortunatly I cant afford the expensive PCs yet. I hope three 48 watters will do for now. For the substrate I was planning to add a thick layer of dried sand, and then adding the live sand on top, or mixing better. I guess ill hold off on the anenome and rock until later. What are the best stuff to use? sand, salt, filter, and chems?

The live rock is a good idea to add now not later. If you looking at doing a reef you should start with a min of 1 lb per gallon, more is better.
Your lights will do for fish only, no anemonies.
Do some research on the site there are tons of posts on setting up a new tank. You also need to think about getting a ro/di unit if you plan on an anemonie and corals.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I have a 60 gallon and Ive always wanted a salt tank. Should I turn the 60 into a salt tank?
that is entirely up to you. Personally, I enjoy the challenge and look a SW tank provides. You can start out simple with a FOWLR tank and work up to a reef if you wish. Worrying about lighting right now is a bit premature. Get a simple tank going some LR and a few fish and use the time to think about and research what you really want in the future. The first thing to know about this hobby is that nothing happens fast.

Go for it ,but remember one thing that patience is a virtue in the salt water hobby.

Yep I would skip the anemone also. Theres no need to get frustrated over worrying about the lighting. Power compacts may be somewhat okay for keeping anemones but VHO and metal halide are usually preferred.

For a filter I would suggest a canister if your really not sure of your filter you have now.

Unless you can get live sand from an lfs's tank than skip it and get the dry type. The stuff in the bag is almost useless and for all you know it could of been in that bag for a year and most of the bacteria could of died.

Live rock can be avoided right now but I really suggest getting some later on. It GREATLY improves your water quality and stability. You also may get some interesting little critters on it.

Back
Top Bottom