Saltwater assassin snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landdiver

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to saltwater aquariums (inherited a couple of established tanks). I just added some margherita snails (no clue if I'm spelling that right) to my 30 gallon aquarium to help with algea control.

Within 2 minutes of adding the margarita snails, what I originally thought was one of my small hermit crabs attached itself to one of the snails and killed it.

The next day, I was able to see that this was actually a snail in a shell similar in appearance to my hermit crab shells. The snail has a hook-like structure that it uses to reach in the shell of the other snail. It also can apparently drill a hole in the shell because I find this on the shell when I separate them. (I'm currently down 2 more margherita snails).

Have any of you ever heard / experienced a saltwater assassin snail? This snail does not look at all like the freshwater snail.

Thanks!

Welcome!
Do you have a picture of the snail? Look up whelks snail and see if that could be the snail you have that is causing the problems.

After looking closer, this doesn't really look like a snail, but a small conch? There is no tube, but a meaty hook. I have made a decision to remove as I caught it just after killing my last hermit crab and making a move on another snail!

Back
Top Bottom