Saltwater Dip for ICH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UABsleeperSRNA

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i currently have a 50 gallon planted aquarium with angelfish, loaches and rams..

well my full grown angel who has never been sick and looked to be in excellent health recently came down with ich he has gotten progressively worse over the past week i tried raising the temp but because he is already rapidly breathing at the top of the aquarium I don't want to raise The temp any higher than it is currently set at which is 82

3 days ago i started treatment with Petco Herbal Ich Treatment dosing daily with large water changes between each dose but to no avail the fish appears to be steady declining..

My major question Is has anyone tried doing a high concentration saltwater dip for the treatment of ich? and was it effective? how did the fish tolerate it? any advice is greatly appreciated thanks

PS: the fish affected is the same one in my pic to the Left taken over a year ago.. :(

Hello UABsleeperSRNA:

Did the instructions for the ich medicine specify large water changes between doses? I ask because I have never heard of that step in the use of a medication for an infectious disease. It would seem counterproductive to the effectiveness of the medication, but if that's what the instructions are then the manufacturer obviously knows best.

It sounds as though you may have to move up to a stronger treatment such as Rid-Ich. If you do, be sure to follow the instructions and measuring very carefully so that you don't endanger your loaches.

I would not raise the temperature any higher than what you already have, since your angel is already showing signs of distress. Is there a way you could add some additional aeration to your tank, in case it's hypoxia?

I would hesitate to add too much salt to a community freshwater tank, especially in a short period of time. Might be best to go with a targeted ich or parasite treatment.

-Yorg

So i currently have a 50 gallon planted aquarium with angelfish, loaches and rams..

well my full grown angel who has never been sick and looked to be in excellent health recently came down with ich he has gotten progressively worse over the past week i tried raising the temp but because he is already rapidly breathing at the top of the aquarium I don't want to raise The temp any higher than it is currently set at which is 82

3 days ago i started treatment with Petco Herbal Ich Treatment dosing daily with large water changes between each dose but to no avail the fish appears to be steady declining..

My major question Is has anyone tried doing a high concentration saltwater dip for the treatment of ich? and was it effective? how did the fish tolerate it? any advice is greatly appreciated thanks

PS: the fish affected is the same one in my pic to the Left taken over a year ago.. :(

I personally have not used the salt dip treatment, but I haved used AQ salt and heat to kill before and it worked well. I would use salt or a stronger medication from petco.

Hello UABsleeperSRNA:

Did the instructions for the ich medicine specify large water changes between doses? I ask because I have never heard of that step in the use of a medication for an infectious disease. It would seem counterproductive to the effectiveness of the medication, but if that's what the instructions are then the manufacturer obviously knows best.

It sounds as though you may have to move up to a stronger treatment such as Rid-Ich. If you do, be sure to follow the instructions and measuring very carefully so that you don't endanger your loaches.

I would not raise the temperature any higher than what you already have, since your angel is already showing signs of distress. Is there a way you could add some additional aeration to your tank, in case it's hypoxia?

I would hesitate to add too much salt to a community freshwater tank, especially in a short period of time. Might be best to go with a targeted ich or parasite treatment.

-Yorg

Hello thanks for the response yes the directions on the bottle state to change 1/3 of the water between each medication dosing.. and i have typically always tried to do a water change before redosing a medication just because i don't the medication concentration to build up to high.. and plus can't hurt to get some of the free floating parasite out of the water if possible..

But besides that the reason i did a large water change yesterday b/c my large angelfish looked to be in so much distress i didn't think that would hurt anything.. but unfortunately he past away last night.. :( hopefully i can get the rest of them through this without any further casulities

Yeah hopefully i can keep the rest of these guys alive! here is a pic of my blue ram

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom