saltwater reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello, i have a 20g saltwater fowlr tank but now want a reef tank, what do i HAVE TO HAVE for my 20 gallon reef tank?
right now i have a incandescent hood with a light strip and a T8 18000K light in it, heater, thermometer, hydrometer, filter, crushed coral, 20 pounds of lace rock.

what are the best cleaning crew for reef tank?, cleaner shrimp, snails, crabs ?

do i need anything else for my reef tank like a skimmer or powerhead or will i be good with what i have ?

no you'd need atleast a 4 lamp T5 to house the anemone.

you'll need power heads and a filter, won't really need a skimmer but it wouldn't hurt

20g reef is very do-able. Realize with only 20 gallons you are going to have to watch the levels very closely for several months before you get "to know" the tank. You will need a refractometer, it's a fairly pricey investment, but they last, and are invaluable. You will also need to upgrade lights as people have stated. You should really consider saving for awhile on the lights, if you go for the quicker and cheaper version, you will probably regret it in the long run. These are the only "needs" I can think of at the moment, but the list of suggested items is much larger.

I would seriously reconsider skipping the anemone in a 20g, it will outgrow it very quickly and be unhealthy. Not to mention it will sting and harm anything else you decide to put in the reef.

20g reef is very do-able. Realize with only 20 gallons you are going to have to watch the levels very closely for several months before you get "to know" the tank. You will need a refractometer, it's a fairly pricey investment, but they last, and are invaluable. You will also need to upgrade lights as people have stated. You should really consider saving for awhile on the lights, if you go for the quicker and cheaper version, you will probably regret it in the long run. These are the only "needs" I can think of at the moment, but the list of suggested items is much larger.

I would seriously reconsider skipping the anemone in a 20g, it will outgrow it very quickly and be unhealthy. Not to mention it will sting and harm anything else you decide to put in the reef.

what kind of lights should i get, and if i get all those things you listed would my tank be fine ? and if i get a refractometer do i need a test kit to check my levels or will the refractometer do it ?

I was assuming you had the basic couple test kits. Ammonia and Nitrate are going to be very important for any tank, but some of the more complex ones like calcium, mag, phos and things like that aren't needed at the beginning stages. When you have a lightly stocked reef tank, just doing your regular water changes will keep all those elements in check. You would benefit from getting a nicer salt though.
Lights are up to you, but we can help more if you give us some information
What types of coral are you looking to grow?
What are you looking to spend?
How much DIY experience/equipment do you have?

I was assuming you had the basic couple test kits. Ammonia and Nitrate are going to be very important for any tank, but some of the more complex ones like calcium, mag, phos and things like that aren't needed at the beginning stages. When you have a lightly stocked reef tank, just doing your regular water changes will keep all those elements in check. You would benefit from getting a nicer salt though.
Lights are up to you, but we can help more if you give us some information
What types of coral are you looking to grow?
What are you looking to spend?
How much DIY experience/equipment do you have?

im a beginner i've had my tank for about at month now i do 25 % water changes bi-weekly and i take water samples to my LFS and its all good, i want like nice beginner corals that are easy to take care of. what do you mean by i will benefit from nicer salt? what salt would you recommend? the price doesn't really matter because i just want a nice reef tank that will be easy to take care of.

just tell me what i need for my tank that will make it easier to take care of and i will get it.

thanks for help

Back
Top Bottom