Saltwater sand in freshwater cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisino63

Aquarium Advice Newbie
just bought some sand for my aquarium (100gsllon) that used in a salt water tank prior. I still need to cycle the tank so do you guys think I am ok ising that sand if washed very well

I think sandy sand would be ok, just wash to remove any salt but I would put some vinegar on a bit to check if there are carbonates in there or not.

What type of cichlids are you keeping? If you are keeping African Rift lake cichlids, I wouldn't bother with the vinegar test, as you actually want the stuff that reacts with vinegar. It helps keep the pH up. Just do a very good job of washing it out and rinsing it off.

Thank you the are all African rift lake cichlids. As I cycle the tank it should get rid of the rest of the salt right ?

While a little salt certainly isn't going to hurt anything, I would rinse it very well to make sure you have gotten rid of as much as possible. You certainly don't want to create a brackish environment.

I'd still do the vinegar test anyways. You find out if it will react or not for information and ok, I admit it - see if you can get some bubbles :)

Back
Top Bottom