Saltwater tank size question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats kinda vague... You could fill a 1 gallon tank with saltwater and have a hermit crab and some mushrooms and thats the smallest...

What do you mean more specifically?

as a first saltwater tank i was wondering what would be a good size to start with to put fish in not a hermit crab. like a couple black clowns or regular clowns

I would say not to start with anything under a 55g. It leaves more room for error. I've seen many say that the solution to pollution is dilution.

The Iceman said:
as a first saltwater tank i was wondering what would be a good size to start with to put fish in not a hermit crab. like a couple black clowns or regular clowns

Probably going to want a 29g for a pair of clowns and maybe 1 or 2 other small fish. The smaller the tank the harder it is to be successful.

i know the bigger you can afford the better from dealing with freshwater, but when your on a tight budget its hard to do. yah i would only start with a couple fish and see how it goes before upgrading just like with freshwater. thanks for the advice

I really like the 40 breeder size tanks. Very good footprint, easy to work with. Big enough for beginners to feel like they have a "big" tank.

If you can't do a 75g which I think is the master of a starter tank, lol, then the 40 breeder is a good 2nd choice. :) It has alot of space to put alot of corals and rock work too. In fact i would prefer a 40B over a typical 55g anyday of the week.

+1 ^^^^

I can't stand the 55g either. Such a narrow tank and very hard to aquascape. I'd prefer the 40B over the 55g for both a display or sump.

A 40B will let you keep a couple clowns and a couple other small fish. Good size to start with if you can't do the 75g.

Back
Top Bottom