Salute to the Assassin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I never wanted any snails, but the assassin was highly recommended to get rid of pest snails. I had 3 clown loach juveniles for a while, but got rid of them before they outgrew my 40g breeder. I settled for the assassin snails and let me tell you, 4 or 5 of those do more work than 3 young loaches! I've got empty trumpet snail shells all over the tank now. And... They're really a great looking addition to the tank! And, they only mess with snails smaller than themselves so they won't mess with Nerites, apples, or mystery snails.

I highly recommend these little creatures.

No, but it would be okay with me if they did. They aren't nearly as prolific as the pest snails. They're pretty, too.

I didn't know if my other snails would be safe but i had a lot of pest snails in my larger tank so I took out the snails I wanted to save before I put the assassin snails in but if they won't pick on the bigger ones I might put them back in.

What happens once they run out of pest snails to eat? I have a few I've kept separate to let them breed so I can keep feeding the assassins but if I run out what will happen to them?

I didn't know if my other snails would be safe but i had a lot of pest snails in my larger tank so I took out the snails I wanted to save before I put the assassin snails in but if they won't pick on the bigger ones I might put them back in.

What happens once they run out of pest snails to eat? I have a few I've kept separate to let them breed so I can keep feeding the assassins but if I run out what will happen to them?

From what I understand, they are scavengers, but if they come across a snail, they'll kill and eat them. However, I have about 4 nerite snails and they haven't touched the nerites.

I would just,ale sure you have plenty of the little pest snails in and extra little critter carrier or vase or fish bowl or something that way you don't have to worry about them eating all the snails and end up eating your nerites or mysterys or apples snails

This is a pic of my assassin snail's handywork. My powerhead actually blew all the shells to that particular corner of the tank :D Had to siphon them out every other week.

75748-albums12252-picture56656.jpg

Well I went away for the night came home less than 24hours later to find I had more pest snails than before! The assassin snails seem to have grown but I have around 20 more snails than I did yesterday :-/

It takes them a while to start making a serious dent in the pest snail population. They probably only eat 1 a day or so.

Then I need to buy more! One of the assassins had a PS hitching a ride on its shell earlier

Once I saw a pond snail hitching a ride on a pond snail that was riding on top of one of my assassins. I called it a portable snack :)

Once I saw a pond snail hitching a ride on a pond snail that was riding on top of one of my assassins. I called it a portable snack :)

Lol! In two of my tanks I actually have pond snails (got them without dealing what they were from a friend) but they don't seem to be hurting any of the fish so I left them in

They don't hurt anything at all. In fact they are generally pretty god for a tank because they do a very good job cleaning it.

when i see pond snails in my 10 gal freshwater tank all i do is put them in a mason jar and breed them and sell them by the hundreds to my neighbor. He has a 50 gal pirahna tank and a 90 gal custom loach tank and they eat a lot of them. and i dont use them.

when i see pond snails in my 10 gal freshwater tank all i do is put them in a mason jar and breed them and sell them by the hundreds to my neighbor. He has a 50 gal pirahna tank and a 90 gal custom loach tank and they eat a lot of them. and i dont use them.

Do they not need a filter or anything just stick em in a container with a lid?

Yeah, they are really really hardy animals. I've ha them survive a fishless cycle without any problems and they will breed as long as there is food available.

How young were your loaches? I can't see assasin snails out competing any loach when it comes to snail control. I got two clowns a while back for my 40 when my tank was INFESTED with those pesky snails. In three to four days shells were all over my substrate. Every once in a while when I clean my filter I find some snails. Idc they can hideout in there I just don't want to see them lol

How young were your loaches? I can't see assasin snails out competing any loach when it comes to snail control. I got two clowns a while back for my 40 when my tank was INFESTED with those pesky snails. In three to four days shells were all over my substrate. Every once in a while when I clean my filter I find some snails. Idc they can hideout in there I just don't want to see them lol

They were pretty young. Probably not quite 2". Part of the problem may have been my substrate. I use a pretty course product that may have kept them from digging around much.

I don't like the MTSs just because they breed so fast and they're ugly. I will admit, though, that I am pretty floored that these guys (assassins) make such quick work of the pests.

Back
Top Bottom